1972 FJ40 Project in Oregon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased this 72 last winter in Helena Montana. After letting it sit through most of last summer in the barn I have finally got the chance to start working on it a little. It is my first project rig of any sort so it is going to be a slow learning experience. I decided to post up some of what I am doing as I know people on here are not afraid to share their opinions and I am hoping if anyone see's anything wrong they will point it out.

To begin with it is a fairly straight rig with only a couple of minor rust spots and one spot of Bondo. It has the original F engine and three speed tranny. It ran when I got it but was kind of rough as it needed some carb work. Other than that other work that needs done are new brakes all around, new tires, new springs and shocks and a little steering work. Overall a good 1st project to tinker with and hopefully learn something.

My goal for this winter are:

Rebuild Aisin carb and get ride of the aftermarket one.
Replace Valve cover with newer 2f cover and track down some of the oil leaks.
Replace tie rod ends, Rebuild center arm
Install the newer 77 FJ40 axles I have waiting
Put disc brakes on rear axle and U-Bolt flip kit from MAF.
Install Alcan Springs with 1" lift over stock.

I have everthing gathered now I just need to finish so I can drive it next spring and summer and decide exactly what my plans are for the future. Currently my goal is to make it safe to drive and to enjoy it for a while before I do anything drastic.

View attachment 297479

100_1100.jpg

100_1107.jpg
100_1100.jpg
100_1107.jpg

The white top was in bad shape with some rips and tears and none of the zippers worked. It did its job in protecting it for the ride home on the trailer from Montana and while it was stored in the barn all last summer. I gave it away to someone that was going to try to fix it up and use it. I am going to go without a top for this year at least.

The tires that I have mounted now are 31x10.50x15. I am going to use them for a while but if there is room I would like to get some 33's in either a 10.50 or 12.50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom