1972 FJ40 new owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am the new owner of this 1972 FJ40. My wife and I decided to get rid of our Harley’s awhile back with a newborn now in our lives.

We found this fj in lakeview oregon about 6hours away. It has the original drive train and almost all the original parts. Supposedly an Arizona original, Texas, then Colorado. Now Oregon. It has front and rear disk conversion and a 4 inch shackle and leaf spring lift. What I can tell minor surface rust and some bad body work on kickers quarter panels and top.

I recently discovered it has the 75’ and later doors. They don’t match up well and look ajar. Hoping to trade them for the correct year once I get through replacing gaskets on the drive train. PO said the hinges were wrong. Hinges and doors I might have added if I’d known better.

1. I paid 12.5k does that seem like a good price? I thought it was a deal (not happy about doors though)

2. Is the fiberglass roof gutter a good choice over metal?

3. I am hoping to do a body off restoration any words of advice?

AC3355CA-B46E-44FD-9B23-7CE86A65F469.jpeg

C1DD99B1-A242-40A4-8088-AC8D0CA4BD0F.jpeg

E3BD6B0D-E0F4-4DF6-9353-04DC4ED04C9B.jpeg

38F1E9A7-0583-4852-89C3-291B0EFCF5DF.jpeg

5366762A-48B9-4957-B68D-BD89CD50235F.jpeg

-I got mine for about 12. it was in rougher shape, but had extra parts. That’s not a bad price in this day and age.
-and they come with the fiberglass roofs. There is no metal option.
- the only advice I was ever given about restoring or doing any major overhauling was to drive it awhile. Get some good memories! It will help when your stuck or at your wits end.

Welcome, nice rig !

Drive and enjoy it first for many years, you can always make it a trailer queen later

Nope i'd much rather drive and enjoy it then do a full frame off.
At the last swapmeet/gathering we had my "unrestored" 40 might of gotten more attention than ones that have been. To me at that point they're all the same really.

I'd put the roof and bezel back to white and get factory steel wheels and be done with it.

Welcome and as others have said if you can drive awhile and figure out the little things to do and still ride. That is good. I would do the metal rim again, for the top if that is your question. Did mine and it is most original.

Nope i'd much rather drive and enjoy it then do a full frame off.
At the last swapmeet/gathering we had my "unrestored" 40 might of gotten more attention than ones that have been. To me at that point they're all the same really.

I'd put the roof and bezel back to white and get factory steel wheels and be done with it.

It's funny how trends work. 15-20 yrs ago, people would be saying "ditch those stock steel ugly Betties and go with some cool billet aluminum rims!" That being said, I agree. The stock steelies with some 31" / 33" tires looks fantastic on these rigs. White bezel and roof would also pop and look great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom