1972 FJ40 Fuel Pump Rebuild - How To? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a replacement fuel pump as at the time could not find a "rebuild kit" for the 1972 FJ40. It was leaking like a sieve when I started it up. Assume bad diaphragm. Someone also told be to change my oil as the fuel can leak back into the case through the fuel pump access.

So, here is what I got. Can't find a Youtube "how to rebuild" for the FJ40. I can now find an original Toyota diaphragm but unsure how to release the diaphragm "T" stem from the metal collar and rubber lower seal. See pictures below. No tear or hole in the diaphragm but there is contamination in the lower part of the chamber meaning something coming down through the diaphragm or something coming in from the case fuel pump access hole.

Below is the fuel pump and a fuel pump rebuild kit. I can only find the original Toyota OEM diaphragm with the "T" stem. None of the "other" rebuild components.

Fuel Pump Rebuild Kit.jpg

IMG_20210326_160919088.jpg

IMG_20210326_160937342.jpg

IMG_20210327_091625278.jpg

IMG_20210327_092435555.jpg

Reactions: flx
So, question is how to get the lower rubber seal with a metal collar off the "T" stem for re-use. Again, the only part I can find is the diaphragm (PN: 23103-60021) for $24.69 plus $10.50 in shipping. Do I need to rebuild the entire unit without access to the other parts? I do have some rust deposits on the valves. I have not opened the "upper" portion of the fuel pump. Seems like a shame as the parts are not available.

IMG_20210327_091523477.jpg

IMG_20210327_091932261_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210327_091941442.jpg

IMG_20210327_092003524.jpg

IMG_20210327_092149050.jpg

Definitely want to follow and know how to do it.

Are you sure the diaphragm is available ? I can' t see it anywhere in Europe and Japan and always heard it was NLA. Some websites show parts available until someone tries to order them...
It's aftermarket but diaphragm and valves are available from Indonesia (said to be made in Japan) : TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ 40 FJ40 FJ45 MECHANICAL FUEL PUMP VALVES AND DIAPHRAGM | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-LAND-CRUISER-FJ-40-FJ40-FJ45-MECHANICAL-FUEL-PUMP-VALVES-AND-DIAPHRAGM/112837347796

Thanks - you were right.

I finally got ahold of a "body" at the dealership this morning, yes open Sunday now, and he tried to track it down. It is no longer available. I did pick up a fuel pump a while back, PN: 23100-61011, will go ahead and install it. The dealership said not to throw out my old one as a kit number has not yet been deleted from the system and is valid. He said, COVID has prioritized new parts over old parts.

Oh well, another part to store for a while longer.

Thanks for the tip on the after market. I will wait on the OEM kit. I still need to know how to disassemble the "T" stem of the diaphragm from the metal collar of the lower rubber seal before I purchase a rebuild kit; if one ever comes available. None of the older crew has responded to this - maybe it is not worth the effort to rebuild as the new pump from Toyota is $165. It would be nice to know how to do it. It is probably "very simple." Just need to know the "trick." Seems like a waste of materials to just throw something rebuildable away!

Yes I would like to know too.
I'm hesitating to buy the diaphragm+valves just to have as spares. An advantage also, it's a lot smaller and lighter to carry if I want travel spares with me just in case...

For the how I'm thinking of something...
Maybe try to slide the rubber part one side to clear one side of the T :
1616952394127.png

Then doing the same on the other side.
Hard to say if it clears the T like that but if you still have it unmounted you can try.

Last edited:
Yep, tried that. Does not appear to be enough room. So, I am sure there is a "trick" to disengage. Just don't know it.

Hey there! So the lower main diaphragm and the metal T shaft are one piece. You cannot separate them. They are replaced as one unit and come as one unit. The spring and that lower rubber shaft seal are replaceable.
Is that what you are asking?

And, @Cruiser Cult sells a nice fuel pump rebuild kit. I rebuilt one a couple weeks ago. No pics but I just watched the video above. Pretty easy. Hardest part was cleaning up 40 years of grime off the pump body.

I rebuilt my '64's spare pump today and the 72's spare pump not too long ago with the Cruisercult kits. In short, OP, just buy the Cruisercult kit and stop wondering about getting the lower seal off of the diaphragm (it also has an alignment piece) since the kit comes with everything you need, you only reuse the housing, screws and arm on the later pump. Hardest part is driving the inlet valve in square.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom