Builds 1972 FJ40 FST Restoration (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jomelo

SILVER Star
Threads
I decided I should start a thread about this truck before @wngrog is finished with it.

This thread will be a continuation of this thread by @Indygbd.

I have been intrigued with this truck since I first saw the original build thread. I was not really searching for a truck to buy and the truck was not really for sale. But I reached out to Gabe to see what was going on with the truck and he indicated he might be looking to sell. We chatted for a while but it told myself I did not need another Land Cruiser.

Later on, I was in need of something and Gabe is known to have some unique parts in his stash. He had what I needed but was not really interested in selling it. We ended up make a deal on the parts and the truck.

237574AD-C37C-4D11-9C33-61FF086FC76E.jpeg

The goal is to just generally bring it back to stock with a few little tweaks here and there.

Tweaks he says …..

This truck is so beautiful, great buy. Did it come with a soft top, or will you have one built for it?

When I hastily volunteered to go get the FST I thought Gabe was in Indianapolis. That seemed like a reasonable day up and day back. Hell, he almost lives in Canada. Indiana is a LONG state

746C19D7-CB83-4A2E-9D6C-41987EB252AF.jpeg

I made it to Indy Sunday and spent the night. How the hell did I not know the state was 1/2 in Eastern time zone.

Next day I made it there around 11:30 am. John flew private and rented a car. Took me longer to get from Indianapolis to Gabes shop.

It was an honor to get to meet Gabe in person and see his stash of 25s. I could have stayed all day but I was in Canada and needed to get back to the dirty south

7FC54BB6-2C2A-4CAD-886D-E4B5A463436B.jpeg

I made it back as far as western Kentucky. I took the I65 route so I would not have to park this thing at an Interstate hotel on I55 and worry about it all night.
38A5DA3F-A43E-4CC8-B018-643762BD2E67.jpeg

The next day I was lucky to have some guys here working on my shop and helped me push it into the shop. It’s got no steering so it’s not a one man job

Nolen geography is not your strong suit. North of Indiana is Michigan and not Canada. lol

It was a pleasure meeting both of you. Wish we had more time as well. I would have moved the tractors and let you look around at my parts. After you left I realized you never looked down the back row of parts only the middle row.

My wife grew-up in @Indygbd 's neck of the woods.

Fantastic new project, gents...so glad @jomelo moved from Porsches to Land Cruisers and discovered @wngrog 's Tilda Bogue Service Station.

Anyone got a buildable 2F core laying around in the vicinity of Mississippi? @wngrog wasted an entire day yesterday on one that was supposed to be good - turned out it was not good.

I've got one that I pulled and don't have anything planned for. Could put it on a pallet and ship it for rebuild.

This skips a bit into the story but ever since John said “I do” I’ve been ordering parts.

On the way back from picking up my last motor I was calling all over looking for 2Fs and found one within a days drive to and from.

So yesterday I got it. Made it home about 2 and then started to disassemble it.

I was happy it was complete and this would keep me from having to hunt down odds and ends. Also it had a good core H42/split case. I’m always on the hunt for that combo to send Georg
025C3F50-C064-4BCC-9E75-F5B646B1AD6A.jpeg

I got every bolt off clean. No breakage but I did disturb this Black Widow when I shot air up into the head
358EA72D-7A63-4BBF-ADED-26DB4B273936.jpeg

But once I pulled the valve cover and then the side cover I could tell this thing just was not sealed up right to be outside.
53DA52C5-4374-481F-8C9B-FAC0F94E5214.jpeg

I tried to salvage the bell housing but nothing would turn and I can’t ge the clutch off
1AA6B6FB-7B70-47B2-9A6A-18167EC2413C.jpeg

Hopefully some of these internal parts will
Help another 2F live on but this one ain’t going in Johns truck
BFC53F0F-7A1A-4974-9560-419B143FD60D.jpeg

I've got one that I pulled and don't have anything planned for. Could put it on a pallet and ship it for rebuild.

I think I lined up one last night but let me keep this offer on deck. Is it a dome or flat piston 2F? I need a flat piston.

Sometimes throwing out a hail call to Mud brings in good things.

@OGBeno stepped up today and let me know he had a 2F sitting in his shop waiting for a future customer and would part with it for this project.

He and Johnny really put the fast forward button on this project with this offer

B9756AD1-AD92-4806-8EB9-67B29CE8D5E0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom