1972 fj40 fst restoration. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any progress on my favorite 40?
No! Got frustrated and pushed it on the back burner for awhile. In order to install a 1UZFE you need the bell housing from a company called Dellow. They are in Australia and there follow up and responsivness to emails it terrible. I send them a message and it took 5 weeks for a half ass response. Then I reply and nothing for 8 weeks now. I have tried to call, email, ect... Nothing. I reached out to other bell housing manufacturers and they do not want to mess with making a one off housing. I realize with shutdowns, Covid, ect... they are behind. Its just ridiculous when they say 6 weeks and I still have nothing after 2 1/2 months and no reply so I do not know if it is almost finished or not even in line.

Now I am trying to decide what to do with the drivetrain. Do I wait, rebuild the original engine which I think I sold you my carburetor for, (LOL) or do I go with a V8 conversion and if I do does that hurt or help the resale value? I am a pureist and like all Toyota parts so I have never put a Chevy V8 in a Land Cruiser before. I even thought about putting a Cummins R2.8 in it, however that is a pricey option and I am not sure I would get all the money I have in the truck back out of it.

What are you thoughts?

No! Got frustrated and pushed it on the back burner for awhile. In order to install a 1UZFE you need the bell housing from a company called Dellow. They are in Australia and there follow up and responsivness to emails it terrible. I send them a message and it took 5 weeks for a half ass response. Then I reply and nothing for 8 weeks now. I have tried to call, email, ect... Nothing. I reached out to other bell housing manufacturers and they do not want to mess with making a one off housing. I realize with shutdowns, Covid, ect... they are behind. Its just ridiculous when they say 6 weeks and I still have nothing after 2 1/2 months and no reply so I do not know if it is almost finished or not even in line.

Now I am trying to decide what to do with the drivetrain. Do I wait, rebuild the original engine which I think I sold you my carburetor for, (LOL) or do I go with a V8 conversion and if I do does that hurt or help the resale value? I am a pureist and like all Toyota parts so I have never put a Chevy V8 in a Land Cruiser before. I even thought about putting a Cummins R2.8 in it, however that is a pricey option and I am not sure I would get all the money I have in the truck back out of it.

What are you thoughts?

You could put a 2F in with a Sniper. It wouldn’t take very long and the fuel system would be ready for any V8 conversion.

What are you thoughts?
You did sell me your 72 carb. MarkA found some, shall we say, unconventional approaches when he rebuilt the rebuild ;) (Edit, for all reading @Indygbd did not rebuild the carb, some unknown innovator did it before him)
As for this beauty, my thoughts about it are well known from earlier in the thread. Sent you a PM with some thoughts.

Last edited:

What are you thoughts?

Personally think a GM V8 would harm the value. Been sitting on my 73 FST for a long time. Had a 74 F engine installed when I bought it with the original engine in the back. It needs a rebuild. Finally looking at what to do with it. Currently thinking of going with a 78 2F I've been sitting on for a low time. Compression numbers were great. Use a H42 that came it along with a Fairey overdrive. I have all the parts needed for the conversion including the tunnel cover and driveshafts. Doing this everything would be able to go back to stock with no mods. Advantage of a 73 it was already made for a four speed. So since no mods are required for the upgrade makes sense to not go any further for someone that would require something other than bolt on parts fuel injection on the 2F does sound like a good upgrade.

What are you thoughts?

There's a huge contingent of Aussies here on Mud, maybe throw up a hail mary and see if one of them could swing by the shop and ask about your order? It sucks to have to go to such lengths just for a response, but for such a critical component it might be worth it.

What are you thoughts?

Stick with the 1UZ engine!

You could run an R151 transmission with a split case. Still available new from Toyota 33030-6A414. The split case available new (36110-6E181) is ready for this transmission right out of the box (New OEM Split Cases: Available). This trans combo comes in the HZJ 70 series.

Then you can get a 1uz to R151 adapter. There are other companies for this too, but this one seems popular.

From the sidelines, I think the SBC is a terrible idea, even if it gets you out from under a challenging project.
I really like where you were going with this project. All Toyota. Unique. Something nobody else has.

@whitey45 lol you wanna start keeping better company.

@Indygbd just got off the phone to them and their factory is about a half hour drive from me. Got the day off on Wednesday so I'll shoot down there and hit them up for ya. I'll PM ya so we can get our story straight.

Off to its new home today.

A5F054D3-9695-4023-AA67-53AE475B7EB3.jpeg

That thing is beautiful!

Good somebody’s keeping @wngrog busy 😝.

Well @Indygbd has always been one of the most honest and generous guys with his knowledge and parts hoard. I’m honored to be able to keep this project going

9054BD36-75F8-4252-8E8A-E360A35A5823.jpeg

1827078E-0279-4F14-B2DD-B3B797B2C037.jpeg

33AF5174-32AF-45C5-90D0-B39B2700796D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom