1972 FJ40 “for sale”……the 40 market????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I was driving on a country road this afternoon and I noticed this 1972 FJ40 for sale. I had to stop to take a closer look.
As the title indicates, the truck is a 1972 with an intact shifter on the tree.
I looked at the Cruiser first before I looked at the for sale sign. What did I find…….

1. Terrible paint job. There is overspray everywhere and there are MANY runs in the paint.

2. The top is poorly fit to the body with gaps all over.

3. Rust is bubbling on the rear 1/4’s and in various other places around the body.

4. The underside is cheaply and quickly coated with black spray paint in many areas.

5. The frame was rotted clearly and it was plated in spots on both the pass and drivers side.

6. The tires are way too small and they are dry rotted.

7. The front knuckles have so much paint on them that you can’t even tell if they are leaking.

8. The front bumper is dented in navy spots.

Overall the truck is not in great condition. I also didn’t even get to start the truck or drive it, so the mechanical end of it could be a mess as well.

So then I looked at the for sale sign……
I was simplify blown away at the asking price, $29,000!
In my mind this is a sub $5,000 truck, am I wrong??
Where are 40 prices going?

50BCB342-C900-420B-8EB1-E7EFAAB9A644.jpeg

581092B1-46BE-438A-8D7D-F55FB24B1D10.jpeg

7F7EA1A6-57EB-4EC3-A14F-271691A12FE2.jpeg

80E85831-3F0E-4102-A2B6-C30CCEC312FD.jpeg

60AD7308-B919-4929-A07A-533CCBE2A7E8.jpeg

My price is firm, I know what I got!!!
I guess you gotta start somewhere.

Flip the bezel otherwise I'm only going $28K.

Looks like the For Sale sign is being reused from some previous sale.

Wonder if the VIN matches any of the stolen rigs in the last few months?

Looks like the For Sale sign is being reused from some previous sale.

I was thinking the same thing, for $29000 you'd think he seller could buy a new sign for $1.99

does 1972 have the round gas filler?
no rear side lights
wonder how much bondo is attached to the body?

Tells the wife “I don’t know why no one wants to buy it”?!?!? Secretly hoping over pricing it allows him to keep it…nah you guys are probably right!

Then again maybe that would just be me?

I was thinking the same thing, for $29000 you'd think he seller could buy a new sign for $1.99

does 1972 have the round gas filler?
no rear side lights
wonder how much bondo is attached to the body?

The fuel door started 9/72 with the 73 model. Believe all 72-74 had footman loops in the corners and only two on each barn door. Guessing the ones in the corners were removed with "rust repair". Barn doors from an earlier year.

Ok, as a guy who VERY recently bought a 40, maybe I can tell a slightly different story. Sorry guys, the days of these trucks being $5k may (left myself some wiggle room) be over. At the end of the day, Land Cruisers are worth what someone will (or won't) put in your hand. I read recently that Manual Transmissions now represent 6% of the new car market. We (gosh I love being able to put the word "we" in this) are driving something that is no longer mass produced. So, in my (worthless) opinion is this truck worth $30k? Not sure, I already got my 40 and you can pry it from my cold dead hands.

My 2 cents worth,

The asking price seem high based on the vehicle condition.

1. What is hiding from a bondo perspective based on the wrinkle on the rear corner?
  2. Missing spare tire carrier
  3. Not sure what the engine looks like. Based on the vehicle exterior, I suspect that there are PO "enhancements" under the hood
  4. Bezel is upside down minus $5k at least
I have seen way better FJ40s for that asking price. I would say this FJ40 is a sub $10k price.

Did anyone see the scab plates welded to the frame? Bad news there. But, it takes 2 to tango and either the seller is looking for a mark or he's not serious about selling it to begin with. Everything and everybody has a price.

I'm selling my lump of poo for more than Twitter this afternoon if that turd wagon pulls $29,000. 😬😆

The market is strong for a quality restored or survivor rig. This fits neither category. Definitely worth less than 10K in my mind. If the motor and interior is even close to what has been done outside then 5K is looking like a great deal for the seller! But I every time I see one like this I add 10K to the value of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom