1972 FJ-40 in Hawaii. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My name's Steve, and I bought my 4/72 FJ-40 last year in October. This forum has been a HUGE help in helping me learn about the inner workings of these amazing trucks. There aren't a lot of FJ-40s here in the islands, so I'm very grateful for the information that I get from the forum and it's members.
I have lots more work to go, but this is basically what I've managed to do over the last 6 months.

Here's what she looked like when I brought her home:
DSC02570.jpg

DSC02573.jpg

DSC02576.jpg

DSC02574.jpg

The previous owners have added a working Vintage Air AC system, DUI ignition, headers, and a fairly new Weber carb. The interior was in good shape, and someone added some $OR carpeted mats along the way. More to come!

Here's what she looks like in her most recent pictures:
DSC02806.jpg

DSC02805.jpg

DSC02808.jpg

DSC02711.jpg

Since I've picked her up last year, I removed the top, sides, and doors, and installed a bikini top from OCDBeetle (Thanks, Jim!)
I removed everything from the interior and applied POR-15 to the tub and most of the frame.
I freshened up the engine bay by cleaning and painting whatever I could remove and reinstall.
Lastly, (and most importantly to me, anyways) I ditched the 4Runner rims and tires, and got a set of steelies, and installed them along with some BFG ATs and new Toyota hubcaps. This mod alone makes the truck 100 times better looking, IMO.
Future mods include complete bodywork and paint, and maybe a front disc swap. For now, I'm really happy to just drive her around. Enjoy!

Thank you sir.

I plan to remove the diamond plate soon. I know it's hiding rust.:eek:

nice criuser====like the look of the steelies and caps............looking good

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I really appreciate it.
Mostly every "build" thread I read here has a Cruiser that I feel is better than mine, so hearing positive things about my truck motivates me to make it even better.
Again, mahalo.

digger,

Small island! I also live in Mililani. Maybe I saw you driving around here. Is your name Glenn? My friend Glenn has a nice red 40 that I sometime see around Mililani. Glenn also hooked me up with the steelies on my rig. Feel free to email/PM your contact info...I'd love to talk story with a fellow Cruiserhead.

nice, enjoy driving it :cheers:

Nice work on the truck& engine bay,looks really clean.Hope to see it cruising the island,we are gonna be there on thur.night for a week.Staying at the Westin on Waikiki beach! Cruise by I would be stoked to check out your rig.
It's going to be a full family trip,taking the kids surfing at Waikiki.But would like to check out the south shore for some good waves! Ala Moana maybe on a south swell!
John

Uh.... No.

Looks very cool. Just one thing out of place... flip the bezel!

Why flip the bezel? Unless I'm looking at things wrong the thick parts is on the top.:doh:

Hey, my rig was built 4/72 as well! Small world.

Good looking rig, I like that you kept the vintage bench seats too. :cheers:

Motley,

I hear ya. I believe in keeping as much of the "nostalgia" as possible. Besides, the seats were in such great shape, I wouldn't think of replacing them.

bikersmurf,

You're correct. One of the first things I did was flip the bezel. Maybe a bad camera angle? Dunno....

jsuthey,

Enjoy our island. I hope you have a nice visit. My cruiser isn't my DD, so I mainly play with it on weekends.
The surf has been up and down lately, hopefully it'll be nice when you're here.

digger,

Got your mail. I'll be in touch when I get a chance.

Looks great......The bikini's are made to pull "outward" at the rear versus inward or straight back so If you don't want to use a more outward footman loop to pull out the wrinkles let me know and we'll make one that fits better for you........

Jim

Jim,

I'm glad you looked in on this thread. I really wasn't sure which loops I should be using, so I went with the ones that were straight back.
As you can see in one of the pics, I have 3 sets of loops back there. Should I use the loops that are located the furthest outboard?

Thanks for the nice words, gundog and Mike.
Like I mentioned earlier, the rim/tire/hubcap combo is the best appearance mod that I've done to her, period.

Welcome to Oahu! Joined in a little late. We are going up to the flats this weekend. My 73 and a friends 78 with some other good guys.. Might be able to add you to a pass.

We also have a few parts "town side" (Kahala/Kaimuki). It'ld be good To have a 3rd Cruiser along and check out what you have done in person.
FYI we don't leave anyone behind so if you run into an issue or two, we will help in any way we can.

Dave

Jim,

I'm glad you looked in on this thread. I really wasn't sure which loops I should be using, so I went with the ones that were straight back.
As you can see in one of the pics, I have 3 sets of loops back there. Should I use the loops that are located the furthest outboard?

shouldnt have to be the furthest out.......A footman loop on the ledge right in the corner would give it the ideal angle but try the more outward loops you've got and it should work nicely...

Howzit Dave,

I haven't really gone through everything to feel confident enough to take her wheeling yet. Besides, I already have plans set for the weekend. Thanks for the invite, though. I'd really like to check out some other Cruisers on the island. We gotta have a get-together one day.
I saw your post on 4X4Boyz. I still haven't heard back from the "potential" buyer, so as of now the sale is in limbo.
Thanks for the offer, though, that was cool. I'll let you know if I hear from him in the near future.

BTW, the handle is use on most sites is "Fixxer". I joined MUD before I really started using it, and I don't know how to change it. I was a member of a local car club called EFI Unlimited, and I was member #4.

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I'll try that next time I work on her. I'm lovin' the top. Nice work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom