1971 FJ40 Temp Gauge Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i'm using the factory temp gauge with a standard GM temp sensor on my sbc crate motor. What I'm wondering is it normal for the temp gauge to be all the way to the hot side when the vehicle is off then work its way down when its running? The reason im asking is i just swapped my thermostat from a 190 to a 160 degree and now the gauge is hovering on the hot side. Before it would be in the middle after everything was warmed up.:bang:

Hahahahah I did the very same thing when I did mine. You need to get the adaptor that will allow you to use the toyota sender in the SBC. the calibration of the two are very differant.

good luck

are you running a EFI or a carb setup??? if you do the carb way run the 180 deg thermostat, if you use the TBI you need to run the 195 deg therm. This will allow the fuel mixture to be proper.

Running a Quadrajet Carb.
Where do I get the adapter for the toyota sender.
Can I just add a resitor to the wire to get it to range right? if so does anyone know the resistor value?

Last edited:
Yeah, both my 71 and 67 fj40's, and my brothers 67 and 69 fj's with stock motors always registered hot when cold, and cooled down when running...BACKWARD? Never understood why the older models run backward. So I don't know what to tell you running a different motor but it seems to be working like normal (?) to me :hmm:

Yeah, both my 71 and 67 fj40's, and my brothers 67 and 69 fj's with stock motors always registered hot when cold, and cooled down when running...BACKWARD? Never understood why the older models run backward. So I don't know what to tell you running a different motor but it seems to be working like normal (?) to me :hmm:

Thats how mine seems to work to. I was just hoping there was a simple solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom