1971 FJ40 Resto-Mod (Father/Son Project) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I got through all of the registration inspections, paperwork, etc....no issue with the VIN. It's not on any of the stolen vehicle lists.

Been up to my ears in other projects, and haven't had much time to work on the 40 much this winter. It was a rainy, gloomy day today, and my youngest was itching to turn some wrenches, so we started stripping it down. Got the top off and disassembled, doors pulled, rear tire carrier off, fuel tank pulled out, and all of the brackets and lights off the rear bumper.

My son also decided that he wanted to clean up the dirt and stuff inside, so he went at it with a scrub brush and the ShopVac for close to 45 minutes! Definitely a fun afternoon turning wrenches with the little dude... :)

Does anyone have suggestions on where I can take the fiberglass top to be redone? The gelcoat is cracked, and the rain gutter is bent upwards in a small section over the middle of the windshield. The windshield mount will also need to be riveted and glued on. I'm on the fence about having new gelcoat applied, or going with prime & paint, but I'd like to take it to a body shop that is familiar with the 40's.

IMG_5817.JPG

IMG_5823.JPG

IMG_5824.JPG

IMG_5826.JPG

A couple of mis-matched wheels came with my 40.....anyone have a need for a steelie, or later model wagon wheel? I've got one of each.

IMG_5822.JPG

IMG_5821.JPG

Awesome ! My son @WhiteTiger911 Will lives in Mebane. Keep us both posted on your updates and if you need any parts

I’m definitely going to need some parts, and since this is my first land cruiser, probably lots of advice.

I’m supposed to be heading out to Greeneville, TN to pick up a pair of axle shafts and a third member.....the set of ‘79 axles I picked up had bad internals.

You don’t have any extras lying around, do you? Mebane is a WAY shorter drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom