1971 FJ40 Procured, Work Begins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up my first FJ40 on Thursday. :D I am very happy and am ready to be overwhelmed with the ensuing amounts of work required to get it looking decent. It has the original f and three on the tree. I immediately dropped it off with Gary at MUDRAK to have a 2f, 4speed and tcase put in. I'm no mechanic, and I won't have time to work on it myself until July, so I figured I'd have him get the big stuff out of the way first. My next task is to get some seats in it. As in the pictures, it currently has the original bench seats in bad shape. I am leaning toward repadding and recovering the bench, but I'd appreciate any input. As well, there is one spot of troublesome rust on the right rear next to the tire carrier bolts. I'm planning on just wire wheeling it down and spraying it with primer. Is there a better way to cheaply coat it to inhibit rust while I wait to paint it? Does anyone have a paint company that can put factory colors in a rattle can? Thanks.

FJ40frontpassenger.jpg

Fj40frontdriver.jpg

Fj40interiorseats.jpg

fj40rear.jpg

fj40rust.jpg

My 1968 had bench seats that were in very good condition, but after riding in it for about an hour, I couldn't stand up straight. They seemed comfortable enough when you first sat down, but I was never happier than when I replaced them.

Not sure what the market for them are now, but I sold mine for enough to cover 2 or 3 projects, including installing buckets.

I just had my bench seat and long jumpseats powdercoated and recovered using covers from cruiser corps. I'm super stoked to be keeping the bench. Of course, I'll be keeping the 3 on the tree as well (even though I have a perfectly good 4 speed sitting in my garage). I want to be able to seat 3 people across the front comfortably and a bench coupled with 3 on the tree is, imo, the best way to accomplish that.

Great looking cruiser by the way. Love the patina.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom