1971 FJ40 issues continue 😡😡😡😡 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So about a month ago I replaced valve seals because of smoke coming from tailpipe and near rear portion of head.
Reinstalled head and once I finally figured out timing and valve adjustment, the head gasket blew.
Fast forward to today and I removed head, installed new head gasket. I set timing and adjusted valves per manual.
I’m getting drag when trying to start motor. I’ve checked timing 4 times. I have it right from everything I know. It took a while to start. Once I finally did get it started, no instant milkshake gushing out of rockers like last time. Also, no smoke. So, it was the valve seals. But it won’t idle now. Sounds great under revs though. So, I goofed with the only mixture screw I know of with no success. At least she’s running and the head gasket it good!
Issue now is I’m not seeing oil pressure. I absolutely know it’s there because healthy amounts of oil are shooting through rockers on all of them.
Did my gauge go all of the sudden? Also, is there a baseline to get my carb close? Maybe I have a massive vacuum leak?

Drove it around our field. It is running a little rough…. And it is hanging up several times before it fires up. Maybe I need to check valve clearances hot.

IMG_2642.jpeg

Check oil pressure sending unit for good tight electrical connection. Might have been bumped during engine work. Check for vacuum leak when running with carb cleaner around carb, intake to head connections. That’s where I would start.

Yup. I knocked sensor loose.. Great oil pressure readout out now. Also sprayed brake clean around intake man and carb. No change.. which surprises me. Truck starts. But I have to pump throttle and once started, it sounds like it’s cam’ed. 😝
WTH have I done here?! I’ll attempt to post a short vid….

Again. No more smoke. Doesn’t get hot. And hangs up several times before firing off.

I did Brian. Firing order good. I have the throttle out a bit so it will run. If I back out to idle, she dies.

Timing is the only thing I can think of…. But I’ve reseated 4/5 times with same result.

I dont think your hitting on all 6, pull the plugs ( check them for fouling)and maybe a quick compession check. I have had these f engines run on 3 cylinders!

Wondering if the starter is going out or a bad ground/connection?

I dont think you’re hitting on all 6, pull the plugs ( check them for fouling)and maybe a quick compession check. I have had these f engines run on 3 cylinders!
Tried that yesterday. They were fouled from when I tried to start it last time when goofed timing and incorrectly adjusted valves.
I soaked them in brake kleen and wire brushed them pretty good…. Checked rotor button and cap too. Maybe a bad spark plug wire…?

Switched out cap and rotor. Also turned motor over for every individual plug (pulled) to verify they’re all sparking. They’re good.

With that dragging and me verifying spark, compression, firing order…. Does it not point to either timing or valve settings??!!

Maybe flooding your carb and getting some hydraulic lock on startup?
Black smoke when you start maybe?
Fuel in your oil?

Maybe flooding your carb and getting some hydraulic lock on startup?
Black smoke when you start maybe?
Fuel in your oil?
I’ve heard the phrase hydro locked? Maybe so. At this point anything is possible.

Also…. At an adjusted fast idle, I back the screw out and then all of the way back in and it did not even alter the revs…. 🤨

After a little reading; I have turn the motor over with spark plugs out when I was adjusting valves. I think any liquid in the cylinders would’ve blown out at that time.

So for it to be still dragging suggests that it’s not hydro-locked.

Now fuel in the oil is possible I guess…

After a little reading; I have turn the motor over with spark plugs out when I was adjusting valves. I think any liquid in the cylinders would’ve blown out at that time.

So for it to be still dragging suggests that it’s not hydro-locked.

Now fuel in the oil is possible I guess…
Clutch disengaged and neutral?

Huh? It drags the same if I start in neutral or start in gear with clutch in.

It was just a thought..
My first thought was that your head was coked up and so your compression was high but since you've had it off I assume that can't be the case.

Maybe a video would help?

Whoever said TIMING, you are todays winner. I took it to the machine shop 3/4 of a mile down the road and within 10 minutes, he had it figured out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom