1971 FJ40 issues continue 😡😡😡😡 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As I sort through the 40, there’s another problem that’s kicking my ass as well.

Brake lights. All of my lights work. Turn signals, flashers, head/tail lights. However, my brake lights do NOT. I bought a brake light switch thinking that was the obvious culprit. Nope. Still nothing.

I think the wiring goes through the steering shaft…? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Thx as always.

Do you have 12v both sides of the brake fuse?

Do you have 12v at the brake switch?

Annnnd just like that, they’re working again! I think by me testing voltage, maybe I better seared the connection. 😬

Annnnd just like that, they’re working again! I think by me testing voltage, maybe I better seared the connection. 😬
The left side still wants to cut off when using the turn signal…

70776648381__4EE229E8-FD5D-4D38-BEF6-03EE2A18F3B9.jpeg

Check the harness along the frame rails, mine was fried or chewed, although it still worked. Clean the grounding points the taillight mounting bolts as well.

FWIW I have similar light issues, check grounds & clean the fuse tab where the power supply for the brake lights comes off fuse panel, resistance there will cause funny conditions with flasher & lights. I made a ground 15 ft wire with aligator clamp, put on batt neg and go to malfuncting light, apply known good ground to it and see if it works, you can go around the entire vehicle very quickly this way and check all grounds.

Sweet. I will say I had a issue once where I had gas in the oil. It would start but after revving the engine I would get a back fire every once in a while. I was stumped, I double checked the plugs, wires and timing. No joy, I gave up and moved to next item on the list which happened to be an oil change. I figured I would come back to it. With fresh oil in the engine I wanted to be sure the oil level was acceptable and sure enough the backfiring issue was the gone.

The left side still wants to cut off when using the turn signal…

View attachment 3342194
Probably a dirty turn signal switch or plug contact. Try clicking it back and forth a few times - might clear it. Else spray some cleaner in and repeat.
Unplug and check/clean the steering wheel connector and the Hazards connector.

The fuses often get corroded, and sometimes the blade will break loose inside the glass tube so it looks good, but in fact it's broken and intermittent.
Replace your fuses from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom