1971 FJ40 Hardtop alignment issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is the part where the top meets the tub behind the doors nested together and tight?

Is the part where the top meets the tub behind the doors nested together and tight?

It all seems to be tight.
fjtop.jpg

There are two different windshield flanges. One for wiper on top and one for wiper on bottom. I remember being a minute different from the two tops when I put the later cap on my 1968. I wouldn’t rule out someone cutting the round circles for the late cap from a donor cap. Also make sure you have the proper seal piece that goes between the cowl and the bottom of the windshield frame.
Also it appears your windshield frame is tilted forward from the door gaps pics you posted I’d drill out the rivet on the header get the weather stripping for The top of the windshield frame bolt it all together. Loosen the top cap from the sides adjust all door/windshield frame gaps and rivet it back together.

There are two knobs on the dash to hold the windshield. I think the bushing that goes between the dash and the windshield is 40mm long. What is the distance there you are working with? With my 76 tub and 74 top, I’ve only got 35mm. Really had to work to get the top on. Also, how does the gap look at your b pillar?

2D46DDA2-172F-472F-8D50-80C81BF274CF.jpeg
15911A91-1589-4E26-AC49-DDC248DC9C51.jpeg
50C8F472-4019-477B-ADE6-9C67C188AF6F.jpeg
There are two different windshield flanges. One for wiper on top and one for wiper on bottom. I remember being a minute different from the two tops when I put the later cap on my 1968. I wouldn’t rule out someone cutting the round circles for the late cap from a donor cap. Also make sure you have the proper seal piece that goes between the cowl and the bottom of the windshield frame.
Also it appears your windshield frame is tilted forward from the door gaps pics you posted I’d drill out the rivet on the header get the weather stripping for The top of the windshield frame bolt it all together. Loosen the top cap from the sides adjust all door/windshield frame gaps and rivet it back together.

I know now that windshield cap has been moved back about a 1/2”, and if is stock it was bent up and now sits on the back half of the top of the windshield frame. It is definitely where some PO wanted it. I know I’ll need to get s new cap and move it forward but I still need to figure out why the spacers are needed and the gap at the top of the door is off.

I betcha you've got a 60-64 fiberglass hardtop which is a couple of inches longer than all later years, that's why there are spaces on the windshield frame to take up the added length.

I betcha you've got a 60-64 fiberglass hardtop which is a couple of inches longer than all later years, that's why there are spaces on the windshield frame to take up the added length.

That might be the case but I don’t think the is overly long in front of the windshield.

Are all FJ40's suppose to have dash pad/windshield spacers like this? Mine doesn't have them? If so what length should the spacer be? I'd prefer to make some instead of paying the outrageous Ebay prices they are going for.

s-l1600.jpg

Um there are a few options depending on year. Take a picture of your dash so we can tell you.

Never mind I miss uderstood what you where askin. Yes standard size. I don’t have one on me but someone will.

7B8A4E11-41F9-4501-8443-BC20C1BE631C.jpeg
3917BB15-5FB5-4E54-8088-81AA09F562F5.jpeg
8CA6CD69-BAB1-4E56-8B74-181D8932C15A.jpeg
Um there are a few options depending on year. Take a picture of your dash so we can tell you.

Here’s a few photos of my dash area. I have the pad off as I sort this out. As you can see a PO welded an additional nut on so they could use a non metric bolt. I’d like to get all these pieces corrected so when I buy a different windscreen for the top and move it everything else is correct.

How I do mine is I take the screws out and pull on my windshield till the hard top slips together then I tighten up the window screws. You shouldn’t need that aluminum piece you posted the picture of something is wrong, I’m not sure what but it’s compensation for a bad fit. You can see the where the OEM holes where in your fiber glass top in one of the pics so whoever owned it before you did something wonki.

How I do mine is I take the screws out and pull on my windshield till the hard top slips together then I tighten up the window screws. You shouldn’t need that aluminum piece you posted the picture of something is wrong, I’m not sure what but it’s compensation for a bad fit. You can see the where the OEM holes where in your fiber glass top in one of the pics so whoever owned it before you did something wonki.

Wonky definitely describes the PO’s work. It was to compensate for the fit at the top of the door and the windshield frame. That’s why I’m trying to make sure I have windshield in the right place before i re-work the top.

I’ve got 35mm there. So just a touch more than you. I’ve got a 1974 top and sides on a 1976 body. I think the spec is 40mm (spacer length). Maybe someone can confirm. That would help set your angle assuming everything else is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom