1971 fj40 field find (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpeg
Here's my engine compartment.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Quick trip back to the brakes, you already have the booster and the dual chamber master cylinder. So the choice is not as hard. But if you want to stay original the drum brakes are pretty good and if properly cared for are more than sufficient. Pinhead has a great rebuild thread on this forum. I have a 69 FJ40 that is similar, take some time to fully appreciate what your truck is, they are only like this once, The three on the tree and old school brakes are kind of what makes it unique. When I first got my truck all I could see was change, but the longer I have it the less change will she get. Clean it up, change the fluids, address any leaks and drive brother drive.......welcome to the forum and the madness. If your fiancée is a keeper she won't be able to stay out of this truck.

Quick trip back to the brakes, you already have the booster and the dual chamber master cylinder. So the choice is not as hard. But if you want to stay original the drum brakes are pretty good and if properly cared for are more than sufficient. Pinhead has a great rebuild thread on this forum. I have a 69 FJ40 that is similar, take some time to fully appreciate what your truck is, they are only like this once, The three on the tree and old school brakes are kind of what makes it unique. When I first got my truck all I could see was change, but the longer I have it the less change will she get. Clean it up, change the fluids, address any leaks and drive brother drive.......welcome to the forum and the madness. If your fiancée is a keeper she won't be able to stay out of this truck.
Got to drive it around a bit yesterday and had come to the same conclusion. I really had no issues with the drum brakes and had decided to leave them stock. Absolute blast to drive, really lit a fire. No power steering and the play in the wheel really took me back to hauling wood in my dads old ford as a kid.

Yeah the three on the tree brings back some glory days for me too....59 Ford Truck, 59 Mercury Comet, 64 Chevy 1/2 ton, 56 Buick that I used to take out without my Dad knowing. Turns out he knew but let it go. Almost forgot the 62 190d Mercedes that had a 4 speed on the column. But I think I like my 40 best.

^^^^^^Wow, that is really cool Alstruck, love that color with the white top and doors. Love the patina too, I hope you don't paint it.

^^^^^^Wow, that is really cool Alstruck, love that color with the white top and doors. Love the patina too, I hope you don't paint it.
I'm painting it now. The front is already done. If it was the original paint, I would have left it that way. My dad painted it back in the 80s. So I'm painting it again. I wish it was the original paint though. I would have kept it that way.

Oh gotcha, looked original.

Been driving this thing all over the place. Needs some work but its summer and driving time! Doors off and hard top off next. Will put ack in shop in a month or so and go through steering, drive train and electrical. Engine runs great and brakes are solid so may as well have some fun.

So I stumbled across a guy who had a brand new oem jerry can and jerry can mount. Question is, is there a part I need to affix the mount to one of the spare tire mounts I have? The holes in jerry can mount do not match with lug mounts on spare tire carrier.
Apparently there was a very healthy land cruiser population around here in the 80-90s and I have found several that are just hanging out in people's yards. Also found a 1964 fj45 in very good shape. I have spoken with all the owners and all are wanting to get them back on the road. We will see what they actually do.

Welcome to MUD!
You have my twin truck! I also own a 2/71 soft top FJ40 with a different year hardtop! Mine has the original F engine and does not have the three way seats. Other than that they are the same.

I have a web site about my truck that details my 10 year still ongoing build. Has some info you may find helpful when you get into trying to get your truck going again. Link to it is in my sig line below.

I would clean that truck up and drive it. It is in so much better shape than mine was.
Definitely check out Coolerman's website. Incredible resource!

Wow, that Darth Vader light in immaculate condition!

img_0187-jpg.1230418

…Quick question on the Vader light. I also have one….and I have a 7/71 cruiser. I can thus assume mine was a factory soft top? I had no clue, not that it really matters at this point, just kind of interesting. It also came without a heater and I want to say with a steel plate blocking the hole in the cowl for the blower mouth, though so much time has passed and I do now have a heater scavenged form a junk yard back in the 80s. I recollect that the previous owners had said it was a truck that came originally from Bermuda or the Bahamas. That would kind of explain no heater and a soft top. Is there any way to determine the truth of that? It came with a green hardtop at the time I bought it….but steel doors the same color as the body, beige. And no, my Vader light doesn't look like this one. It does work, though. Why is this light coupled with a factory soft top…and not with other models? Any logic to it?

The FST trucks have the "vader" light since they do not have the hard top interior light above or on the driver side b pillar depending on the vintage. They also have a drop down tailgate (also used on swb fj45s) not the side hinged barn doors that came with the hardtop. They also came with the soft door type open top hinges on the body for the easily removable soft doors.(lift the door up when open to remove) FST trucks will also have holes on each side of the dash for the eye bolts to attach the door safety straps when then soft doors are removed.(the eye bolts must be removed to use hard doors but the holes will be in the dash) And finally the brackets to attach the rear top bow are mounted to the inside of the rear of the tub (loops on inner edge of tub and base brackets on top of the wheel houses to secure the ends of the bow). The early 70's era trucks had the footman loos on the rear corners/barn doors regardless of type of top (depending on the vintage).
HTH,
Will

That makes some sense about the light. I love that light! They should have left it for all models. More lights is always good. I suppose it is an extra cost. I will check for those holes on the side of the dash, just for kicks. Yup, I had the tailgate though it is long gone…sold it and made one out of wood. it was kind of rusty, if I recall, and rattled. Kind of wish I still had it, oh well. Come to think of it, I just took off the chains that support the tailgate when down as they rattle going over bumps so much. As for any loops in the rear, that area is covered by steel plate…the loops probably fell out with the rust….

Most of this 40 is in great shape. Darth vader light works. Took off dash pad and will need to replace part of cowl that the pad clips into. Its the only rusty part on the vehicle and even then it would have several years left in it. Still at a loss as how a factory jerry can mount attaches but I have Plenty of time to think about that one. I drive this thing everyday and just can't bring myself to take it out of commission yet. I will wait for the rain and then get into this. Taking several months to just drive it and access the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom