1971 fj40 field find (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also I noticed you have the rear seat heater which was not standard on the '71 soft tops oddly enough. Also I noticed on your dash has only the one heater control where mine has two switches,front and back. Maybe this was a mid '71 model change (I don't think so,) or PO salvaged a back heater and installed. Yes, drivers side and passenger side spare mounts! I love it!

Last edited:
:clap::clap::clap:

Too many times we find great close to stock trucks being butchered With mega mods

IMHO if you got the money ... Get bows and Vinyl white oem replacement top from trollhole
I checked out Trollhole soft top and plan on going that route. Seems quality. What color did the soft tops come stock on red 40's?

Sweet truck, Id take that top and doors off and sell them if you are keeping it in a garage, and get an OEM style soft top. I think the factory soft doors really provide the finishing touch on an FST but they can be a little hard to find sometimes.

I obtained a Freeborn red '75 FST that I restored and sold a while back. This is a @Trollhole top, he suggested the gray trim and it was a great idea as it matched the bumpers, bumperettes and some of the other factory gray items and brought it all together nicely.

DSC_0376.JPG

DSC_0413.JPG

Your time frame it was a white vinyl only in USA

Monday I can post a pic if somebody doesn't beat me to it

If you look thru the literature thread in my sig ... There are pics
I could spend days running through your sig threads and plan to. Great stuff!

Nice find enjoy and welcome

Also I noticed you have the rear seat heater which was not standard on the '71 soft tops oddly enough. Also I noticed on your dash has only the one heater control where mine has two switches,front and back. Maybe this was a mid '71 model change (I don't think so,) or PO salvaged a back heater and installed.

I don't believe rear heater was standard on any FJ40 in the US market, hard or soft top. In 81 when it was moved under the center console the models without the rear heater got the low profile plastic console used on the 79/80 models. My 73 FST had both front and rear heaters. Early FJ40 had two heater switches. Pre 68 the switch/s and vent cable were in a bracket mounted to the bottom of the dash instead in the face of the dash. All those brackets had spots for the vent cable and two switches. Believe it was 74 when the second switch went away and the rear heater came on with high speed for the front fan. A few months in 81 the center console had switch for the rear heater then back to the front switch. 73 the knobs were redesigned and the only model year the knobs were marked FAN FRONT and FAN REAR. As for salvaging a rear heater my 68 (FHT) did not have the factory heater. I found one in a junk yard and installed including it the wiring harness and switch. Not sure if it's a upside or downside but because parts interchange for so many years it's very common to find FJ40 with parts from other years.

no one has mentioned it but the tire carrier on the driver's side isn't original to your truck. It is blocking your emblems and reverse light.

I wonder what the deal was with the two tire carriers? Got her running and will drive it tomorrow! Pretty excited. Defiantly going with white soft top and possible disc brake upgrade but haven't 100% decided on it yet. Thoughts?

I wonder what the deal was with the two tire carriers? Got her running and will drive it tomorrow! Pretty excited. Defiantly going with white soft top and possible disc brake upgrade but haven't 100% decided on it yet. Thoughts?

I'm sure it'll turn out great.. I would like a soft top as well but they are high on price along with bows and I couldn't bring myself to sell the original hard top setup. Your situation would be going back to original so that would work for me.

I am putting together a disk brake conversion set up for my '75. Used FJ60 parts can go from $300-$400, re-man calipers from Napa with cores about $100 and an axle rebuild kit I believe is around $250. Gotta get the good Marlin seals as I understand it. I'm getting the backing plate eliminator kit and all new soft hoses. Eventually you may want a new disk booster from Racer. Shutterfly There are other ways of doing it.. Swapping FJ60 axle, mini truck parts or the Wilwood kit.. I hear @beno @orangefj45 good source on other parts. Contacting Beno/Onur at Land Cruiser Parts and Consulting:

Hers a good read on a conversion... Enjoy the fun.

Minitruck Front Axle Disc Brake Conversion For Dummies (FAQ)

No, I literally saw this in a field while looking at a wedding venue above Washougal. Random way out in the hills find that irritated future wife when my attention shift momentarily and then 100% not paying attention to wedding talk. I put myself on some thin ice for a day of so, but I do now own a 1971 fj40 so worth it!

No, I literally saw this in a field while looking at a wedding venue above Washougal. Random way out in the hills find that irritated future wife when my attention shift momentarily and then 100% not paying attention to wedding talk. I put myself on some thin ice for a day of so, but I do now own a 1971 fj40 so worth it!

Congratulations on the impending wedding. Sometimes, after 10 yrs of marriage, the doghouse isn't so bad.

WOW!!! What a find!! Welcome to the Mud family.

That appears to be in incredibly good condition, especially for the Pacific Northwet. I have an April 1971, and it is definitely NOT in as good of condition. Mine has a lot of the rust gremlin for this area, of course it apparently came originally from the Oregon coast. Driver and passenger floorboard very rusty, kick panels inside and outside very rusty, and rear sill very rusty. I don't see much, if any, rust in those places on yours.

Check the condition of the firewall drain tubes for the cowl vent. They were very badly deteriorated on mine, and ignored by the PO. This let the rain build up on the trash left on the floor by the PO. And of course, badly rusted the floor.

What appears to be original three-on-the-tree shifter, and original vacuum shift mechanism for the TC. Original spare carrier on the right rear corner. Although I don't have any experience with them, it appears that you also have the factory soft top type of removable door hinges. There are many other things I see that appear to be factory original. I'm not into original cruisers as mine has been modified, but I would for sure do everything possible to keep that one as original as possible.

You are located only a few miles east of the Portland area, and there are several cruiserheads in the Portland metro area. I would tend to think that they would be willing to help you as you learn about the cruiser. I'm about 70 miles south of Portland, right next to I-5. I'm not much into joining clubs, but there is a club in the Portland area.

Don

Compression test done. #1-140+, #2-140+, #3-140+,#4-140-,#5-140 & #6-160. Carburetor needs some work.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I also have a February 1971 FST. My brother bought it new and has been in my family since new. It's all original, and has been sitting in my brothers barn in OK for the past 19 years. I got it a year ago and I'm restoring it. The frame is perfect and u just s a rear sill welded in. My brother put a hard top on it, and kept the original soft top frame. I just removed the hard top and put the frame back on. I'll buy a soft top soon. i see a starter relay in your engine compartment on the passenger side. That's not original. I'm not sure about your front sests. Mine came with the 60/40 bench seat. I have the original FST doors with the original white canvas still on them. Your truck looks to be in great shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom