1971 FJ40 Column shifter help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought this 1971 FJ40 and have just started on getting it road worthy. The truck has been sitting for over 4 years, but at one time underwent a "restoration", I use the quotes because it was a half assed attempt at a restoration.
So, I got it running, after sitting 4 plus years, it fired up relatively easy. I had to do some clutch bleeding to get a decent pedal out of it, but the clutch seems to work fine. So for the first time I take it on a road test. It shifted into reverse pretty easy, I can feel that all the linkage on the column shift is pretty worn out. After backing up the driveway I go to shift into 1st. I can only get it into one forward gear, 2nd gear I think judging by the lug on the engine. So I break out my repair manual and slide under the truck, unfortunatly the manual has nothing on the column shifter. I plan on going to a floor shift conversion as soon as possible. But for now I'm stuck with this column shifter. So my question is what adjustments can I make? Why can't I hit 1st or 3rd. I'm new to Cruisers, this is my very first one & I've never even looked under a Cruiser hood until last week. I tried to do a search, thinking that this might already have a topic, but I was unable to find one.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
4d_12_sb[1].jpg

It sounds like it may be gummed up a bit, Im suprised you cant get it into 1st seing its right below reverse, 2nd was always a pain in mine, I had to do like a hop forward then up into 2nd, You might need to get some help to see what its doing, Have a friend run the shifter through the gears while its not running to see what its doing, Just be sure to block the tires so it wont roll over you.
Looks like a nice rig.
Good luck

Here is a parts diagram

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat056.tam?xax=10833&page.ctx=cat056.tam

I too am surprised about not being able to drop it straight down to get it in to 1st. Agree with popping the hood and taking a look to see what is going on when a friends attempts to shift through the gears. Let me know when you want to get rid of your column shifter. I love mine. :D

:cheers:

oh and welcome. :flipoff2:

Welcome to the forum. Half-ass or not your truck looks pretty good from the pic.
Reverse and second are both "up" on the shifter. If I remember right they share the same shifting fork. Likewise with First and Third. I say this because the problem could be in the Tranny. (worst case scenario). My 70 FJ40 is also 3 in the tree. It was somewhat difficult to shift as well. Lubricating the column didn't help and a clutch kit made no difference. Rebuilding the tranny made a world of difference.
The Linkage is adjustable on two of the links. They are recognizeable from the retaining nuts at either end of the link. Loosen them (one will be revers thread) and the turn the link. It will then move in and out. Thirty years may make this difficult

Good luck
Chris

Thanks for the welcome, now I know this forum exists, I will be using it a lot in the future. And thanks for posting that link to sor.com, but I already looked there... I actually have it book marked so I can look at it with my laptop while I'm under the truck. I say half assed on the restoration due to the fact that they butchered a few things, other then that it's really not that bad.
Now back to my shifting problem... I made my wife sit and try to shift through the gears, while I looked at the linkage to see what it was doing. Right off the bat I saw the linkage is very worn, from what I can tell all parts look to be original. While she was shifting, I noticed that the linkage had very little movement. I mean the rods moved no more then half an inch.
Now this leads me to my second issue... the glove box door has the shifting procedure printed on the door, like they all do. But it's the layout for the floor shifter, so I'm not even sure how to shift it. :rolleyes:
I know that all the way up is reverse, next down should be 1st etc... I can get it into reverse (around the 2 oclock position) and into 3rd (around the 4 oclock position), not 2nd like I posted earlier.
You have to pull upward on the lever and I can fell the notch when to drop the lever back down to hit reverse or 3rd. But I don't feel the notch for 1st & 2nd, I even tried to force it a little, but no go.
If over hauling the tranny is needed, is that something my local trans guy can handle? I know nothing about transmissions, but I have a friend that used to rebuild them and could help me is it's something that isn't too involved.

Thanks again for the replies, I really could use the help.

I think the problem lies in your brush guard, so you should send it to me. I had same problems with mine and found a floorshift for it. I'm getting ready to swap in a 4 speed, so if you have not found a floorshift top plate and cane, PM me.

GL

Ed

Dragon158 said:
Thanks for the welcome, now I know this forum exists, I will be using it a lot in the future. And thanks for posting that link to sor.com, but I already looked there... I actually have it book marked so I can look at it with my laptop while I'm under the truck. I say half assed on the restoration due to the fact that they butchered a few things, other then that it's really not that bad.
Now back to my shifting problem... I made my wife sit and try to shift through the gears, while I looked at the linkage to see what it was doing. Right off the bat I saw the linkage is very worn, from what I can tell all parts look to be original. While she was shifting, I noticed that the linkage had very little movement. I mean the rods moved no more then half an inch.
Now this leads me to my second issue... the glove box door has the shifting procedure printed on the door, like they all do. But it's the layout for the floor shifter, so I'm not even sure how to shift it. :rolleyes:
I know that all the way up is reverse, next down should be 1st etc... I can get it into reverse (around the 2 oclock position) and into 3rd (around the 4 oclock position), not 2nd like I posted earlier.
You have to pull upward on the lever and I can fell the notch when to drop the lever back down to hit reverse or 3rd. But I don't feel the notch for 1st & 2nd, I even tried to force it a little, but no go.
If over hauling the tranny is needed, is that something my local trans guy can handle? I know nothing about transmissions, but I have a friend that used to rebuild them and could help me is it's something that isn't too involved.

Thanks again for the replies, I really could use the help.

Just reading over the post, Im begining to wonder if there isnt a problem with the trans itself? They are a simple design. I have a trans from a friend that gave me his 3 speed trans with the top loader and it was haveing issues with going into gear, That being worn forks and or some other internal goodies, I think it might be similar, If you have the knowhow you might want to have a look internally. That or the linkage is too loose, Did you get a look at the trans itsself or just the linkage under the hood?
I would suggest the floor shifter, You can find it cheaper than SOR if you ask around here or even possibly on ebay.
Good luck.....Welcome :flipoff2: :D newb greeting :cheers:

The shifting pattern on the glove box door is the same for both the column and floor shifters. To realize the "H" pattern on the column, visualize looking at the shifter lever from the passenger seat. Up left (which would mean pull towrd you and push up) is reverse. Straight down for first. Push away and up for second.

Now pull the passenger seat out and move the gas tank so you can pull the tranny cover. You'll be able to see those linkages perfectly. You can disconnect them from the top cover and shift the tranny with some big pliers. Then you can see if the malfunction is in the linkages or the tranny itself.

Eric

I want to go floor shift as well but mine works flawlessly so I can't justify swapping out, may never be able to with as long as this thing has lasted. I have the same year same setup so if you need pics or measurements of anything just let me know. Great looking rig.

Les

Thanks a bunch fellas, after e rock's post I think I might have been shifting it wrong. I've never driven a column shift before, maybe I'll like it after I get used to it.
I will definitly be trying all of those suggestions as soon as possible. But today I'm concentrating on installing parts... the PO purshaced over 600 in parts, but never installed any of them. So I have to look up the part a sor.com and figure out where it goes... very time consuming when you look at a 3 boxes of parts.
And thanks for the offer jikser, if I can't figure it out I might take you up on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom