1971 Fj40(gone) / 1974 FJ40 Build , Jackson Tn. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi wanted to introduce myself, I just rescued a vehicle from a salvage yard.

Guy was very nice, the yard was local to me. I was supposed to see a corona, and got this fj. Alwasy wanted one, but the prices went so high lately, i doubted i was ever going to own one.

For shell, xxxxxxx$ was a good price. Nothing else, but sheet metal and glass.

I am not afraid to restore, but usually i take my time. I posted on facebook, but im a forums guy.

looks like it came with some modifications and it was a failed project. Someone quit on it.

I will upload pic from phone, tomorrow will use pictures that i took with camera. Ive had the car for a week now.

IMG_9427.JPG

IMG_9442.JPG

Last edited:
Love it!!

And the bezel is right side up!

Thanks for saving her:clap:

thanks, guys its going to be a resto mod. too expensive to go original, plus im not the one that failed her. I rescued her.

newer v6 or newer v8 going in it. Toyota engine of course.

Great find with lots of good parts left ion it. The hood ornament must be saved, even if you keep it on the dash once you get it on the road.

Post more pix when you can - we always like to see the PO's wise mods!

i dont know how many pictures im allowed, but i took a bunch yesterday. to start with rust damage...

DSCN0808.JPG

after clean up the first day, mostly surface few holes here and there...

DSCN0858.JPG

and the other side
DSCN0865.JPG

DSCN0860.JPG
DSCN0861.JPG

next ....

more pictures of the other side
DSCN0864.JPG

and ..
DSCN0863.JPG

gas tank area

DSCN0877.JPG

engine bay
DSCN0847.JPG

steering box weird angle....

DSCN0843.JPG

next....

recent or new gasket...

DSCN0856.JPG

mounts of some sort
DSCN0845.JPG
DSCN0846.JPG

undercarriage
DSCN0853.JPG

steering arms

DSCN0811.JPG

not much to work with, but its like a good start

i wonder why there is a coilover setup with the fj when there are still leaf springs. Comfort?

and looking closer the rear discs are vented, and the front discs are solid....

The coilovers are to support the worn leaf springs sagging or just give a stiffer ride. Ditch those. Non vented front discs are likely due to a mini truck front front disc conversion using early toyota mini truck non vented discs. Rear discs are aftermarket kit and likely just need cleaned up. Looks like it has crappy motor mounts for a v8 swap. That is a good candidate for a v8 cruiser if you want one, or put the 6 back in. A ford 300 i6 would also be a cool swap.

Good save! Saginaw conversion and disc brakes. Great start. Look at a 85 Supra master cylinder. It's already proportioned for 4 wheel discs.

thanks good, to know. I guess the first order of bussiness is to look at cleaning the frame and to clean the leaf springs and rebuild them

Great place to start !! Just remember...if you get frustrated working on it....find something to finish on it...it will motivate you to keep going.

yes thats what i do.

76 celica, 75 corolla sr5, 97 celica, and now this, lol... merry go round. Oh and i have a 73 corona mark2, that is just sleeping beauty.

looking for some decent cheapo wheels so i can move it around, the current wheels are rotted. and i dont like them. I wont start on it until next year, mostly researching for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom