1971 F engine valave adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is there any way to adjust the valve clearance COLD? my manual only give HOT running specifications of exhaust - .014 and intake - .008 -
if there is away to adjust cold- what would the valve clearance be?
if it has to be done HOT- can you tell me the best way to adjust them
Thank You
Rick

I did buy a go/no go gauge. it was hard too use on some valves were not easy to get to. I did measure the gaps while the motor was running, but its not easy, and I'm not sure how accurate. the threadsuggest you can do it while warm, but the book says running.
I will try it that way and see how it works out- thank you for your reply

Warm the truck up to operating temp, turn the truck off, and adjust the valves. Set the motor to TDC. With the distributor cap off your rotor should be pointing approximately at the number four cylinder and you should be able to see your timming B.B. in the windows of the bell housing. Now adjust the valves that are loose from the front to back should be 1 2 3 5 7 9 Then turn the motor one full rotation you should be able to, again see the BB but the rotor will be pointing 180 degrees away from the Number four cylinder adjust the remaining valves 4 6 8 10 11 and 12 reinstall the rotor cap and valve cover, and go drive your truck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom