1970 Steering Box Plug vs. Breather (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Bean

GOLD Star
Threads
Our 1970 FJ40 has a plug on top of the steering box which I believe is Toyota P/N 90345-5320. I believe that I have read here that there is a breather cap P/N 90930-03019 which I have but which does not match the thread pattern for the plug. (The breather plug has a much smaller diameter than the plug) Maybe the breather does not go where I thought it goes. I'd appreciate it if folks here would kindly "steer" me in the right direction.
Thanks for not slamming me too hard for a dumb question.

Just guessing but,,,, A quick search shows the correct part # for a 1970 is 90345-53008 and calls it a "plug w/head taper".
My 74 has a breather.
90930-03058 and is called a "plug/breather".
Maybe they didn't use breathers in 1970.
If you want to convert from the original plug to a breather, I guess you’ll have to get creative.

Our 1970 FJ40 has a plug on top of the steering box which I believe is Toyota P/N 90345-5320. I believe that I have read here that there is a breather cap P/N 90930-03019 which I have but which does not match the thread pattern for the plug. (The breather plug has a much smaller diameter than the plug) Maybe the breather does not go where I thought it goes. I'd appreciate it if folks here would kindly "steer" me in the right direction.
Thanks for not slamming me too hard for a dumb question.
SOR lists a fill plug 1958-9/72 and a "fill/breath plug" 9/72-1984... but also a fill plug for those same 9/72-84 years if that is any help. I dont think my 1970 has a breather but can double check when I get home

The 73 model (9/72) the steering box changed design. Earlier the steering column was part of the steering box. Later only had a short splined shaft out of the steering box. Obvious it was at this time Toyota decided to use a vent verses the plug.

Mark, the breather is not called for on the earlier box because it ‘breathes’ through the column.

It’s one of the reasons the older cruisers always carry a hint of gear oil.

Mark, the breather is not called for on the earlier box because it ‘breathes’ through the column.

It’s one of the reasons the older cruisers always carry a hint of gear oil.
Thanks, Mark. I may be in serious violation of some MUD rules; but here goes; Do you by chance have any lower front bumper brackets?

Thanks, Mark. I may be in serious violation of some MUD rules; but here goes; Do you by chance have any lower front bumper brackets?
Nah, you’re only in violation of my signature line!

Leave me a voicemail and I’ll call you Monday.😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom