1970 FJ40!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone!

I have just purchased a 1970 FJ40, which my brother should be picking up by the end of the weekend (I'm currently deployed, so would be a bit of a jaunt!)

I have been a Jeep owner for the past several years but I will be selling my '13 and using the FJ as my daily driver. The Jeep is just to new for me lol.

Well enough about me.....a little about he FJ!

[FONT=&quot]1970 Land cruiser
-900/16 xl Michelin radials w/aluminum rims.
- 2000(yr) 4BT Cummins turbo Diesel. Intercooled. In-line P-Pump injection. Torque splitter over-drive.
- 1984 4speed transfer case.
- GM power steering components.
Front,after market bumper setup w a Warn winch.(not pictured)
2 high-intensity halogen lamps.
Aftermarket bucket seats & a variety of extra parts. [/FONT]

I haven't been able to see it in person yet but the driver has informed me that it is garaged in the winter and driven as a summer "fun" car. The rust doesn't look all that bad from the pics that I have but my brother will find out soon enough when he picks it up.

My plans are to ahve this truck as a daily driver and more of an expedition rig. I love the outdoors and camping so it will be geared towards that. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have limited knowledge about diesels and Land Cruisers in general, I am trying to learn though!
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
ingine.jpg

Pics

Threads always need more pics!

eWRcghs.jpg

ZNGj8pR.jpg

interior 2.jpg

And the affliction begins....

Thank you for your service and congratulations on the new toy!

Looks like a great start. Suggest you give the brakes and mechanical systems a thorough going over before worrying about cosmetics like rust (unless you find some serious frame rust).

Where do you call home? You can add it to your avatar so local Cruiserheads can self identify and volunteer to help you.

Thank you for your service and congratulations on the new toy!

Looks like a great start. Suggest you give the brakes and mechanical systems a thorough going over before worrying about cosmetics like rust (unless you find some serious frame rust).

Where do you call home? You can add it to your avatar so local Cruiserheads can self identify and volunteer to help you.

Hey StaleAle!

Thanks.....only a few more weeks till Im back home so Im happy about that.

I agree with you there...Ive a had talk at length with my brother ( he has restored 4-5 older cars) and decided I wasnt to make sure everything with the drive train is good to go. I was to flush all the fluids, check all the bushings and seals, and make sure all the suspension components are good to go before worrying about the cosmetics. Then Ill be replacing the door seals and getting the rubber matting and redo the head liner to reduce noise in the cabin.

Im contemplating on which disc brake kits give the best bang for the buck if I cant get the guy to throw in the one he already h
as. Anyone have any experience with the JToutfitter's kit?

Im actually currently out of Alexandria, VA until DEC, then I will be moving to Omaha, NE for the next couple of years. The truck will be up with my brother on the Upper Peninsula, MI until DEC though.

Ill make sure to fill out my info, god only know I will need a hand or two!

:cheers:

Thank You for your service to our country.

Looks like a nice start to a expedition rig, enjoy.

Nice looking rig

Thanks!

Welcome!

That looks like a fun project congrats!

Keep the pics coming

Thanks.......I am excited for it :D...hopefully I dont break more than I fix in the process haha.

Thank You for your service to our country.

Looks like a nice start to a expedition rig, enjoy.

I appreciate it; I hope that I can get it to look half as nice as everyone FJ on this site....look forward to learning more from yall.

Thank you for your service, we are a USMC family ourselves, with a son in Cali.
Love that Cummings! Can't wait to hear how it runs, and MPH.
Frank

LC, stay safe! Those tires on your "new" '40 are the very sought after Michelins. Nice truck! Beware the bezel police.

Thank you for your service, we are a USMC family ourselves, with a son in Cali.
Love that Cummings! Can't wait to hear how it runs, and MPH.
Frank
Semper-Fi!

Awesome, gotta love a military family. I'm excited for it as well; he should be picking it up tomorrow and I will be having him take MANY pictures and video of it running. Im pumped!

Thanks for your service.

Congrats on the new rig. Looks sweet.

Welcome to MUD and the addiction. You'll shake the jeep memories soon enough but you'll NEVER be rid of your new LC affliction. :lol:

I appreciate the welcome. This is what I am hoping, I have really enjoyed the Jeep, but the 40s are just fantastic. :steer:

LC, stay safe! Those tires on your "new" '40 are the very sought after Michelins. Nice truck! Beware the bezel police.

Really now? I like them but since they are "mil spec" I was a little worred about how heavy they were going to be, I like them alot though I think they fit "right".

Hah, is there something awary with the it?

Awesome! Im in Indy, and saw that on CL the other day! I wanted to go see it! My feiend saw it driving around...looks like a great rig!

yea, Im happy to be getting it, I have always been a turbo diesel fan, and now I get the best of both worlds. I hope so, at least I know it runs now! Hate purchasing something I cant see.....but I guess I will soon enough!

Question for yall......will the jump seats only fit up until the 1943 FJs? I have been looking for a set since he doesn't have any, seem to be kinda a pain to find!

:beer:

So.....ITS OFFICIALLY MINE!

My brother picked it up and hes on his way back home.

He will take pics and send them, and then I shall post and share!

Also found out some interesting things he neglected to post....

Apparently the overflow reservoir for the PS is a Heineken beer can.......the hell....

Also apparently the PS itsself is out of CAT construction equipment? I haven't got all the details on that yet...

The throttle cable is some kind of jerry rigged thing by the PO......dont know what I have to fix on that yet.

Got a bunch of extra parts for $450 like a brand new soft top.....60 axles....1 jump seat ( now I need the other....) new emblems.......and a bunch of other "crap" he will give me the run down about....

So it seems.....I have some work that might be over my head such as fixing the gauges that apprently dont work for whatever reason.....gah!

The "fun" begins!

Nice looking rig man! I'm pretty new to the 40 scene as well and just finished a repaint
and update to my '74 cruiser.

Safe travels home and get used to getting your checkbook out!

Nice looking rig man! I'm pretty new to the 40 scene as well and just finished a repaint
and update to my '74 cruiser.

Safe travels home and get used to getting your checkbook out!

Thanks Trail. Nice......Im not looking forward to the repaint.....seems pricey...bleh! What did you end up painting it? Thanks, I will try my best!!

So he has finally made it home with the truck.

The crazy 3ft long battery that came with it is dead so first mod is having him go grab one of these: The Platinum size 65 battery, seems to be a good CCA for the colder months in Omaha.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-automotive-battery-group-size-65-price/p-02850065000P?prdNo=5

So there will be work.......awful paint job....but that can wait (though the over spray from the top is bugging me.)

The pics aren't that great, but better ones to come.

So my first real question......Where in the **** do I mount the battery?! Apparently its to cramped in the engine compartment for it, and there doesn't seem to be any space under my seat. Any recommendations?:bang:
Picture4.jpg
Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture3.jpg
Picture5.jpg

Nice truck, welcome to the forum..

I just thought I would give you an Idea for the battery, I have a 24 volt system and needed to get the battery's out of the engine compartment. Made Room under the rear floor....Will finish it off a little better in the future but the hard part is done, it was not really that hard and gives a ton more room....Semper Fi...Lee
Battery Box.jpg
Batt Box looking down.jpg
Batt Box Close up.jpg

Also thank you for your service!!

And thank you for switching to a real truck... My son call them 'baby jeeps'

As for Disc brakes ... I have been Dd my truck for 20 years going to discs was the best mod I had ever made... Pm Poser here on Mud he has disc conversions

nice 40 a 70 fj40 was my dd and workhorse for 35 years .

Hey everyone! Im LC2013 brother. I have a few questions. I pocked up a complete fj60 front axle and was wondering if the disk brakes would be better to swap to the front instead of one of the kits? I see there are some threads about the swap but was wondering how labor intensive it is to swap the disk brakes over?If there is a step by step that would be awesome lol:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom