1970 fj40 wiper motor questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wipers on my 1970 fj40 are not working. I would like to try to see if the motor is working first. Can I put +12v to the all blue wire on the windshield wiper harness connector by the motor and place a neg cable to either the blue/red stripe wire or blue/wht wire to see if motor turns over? I have opened up the gear box and everything seems to move freely. when I replaced the cover of the gear box and tried to twist the wiper shafts I couldn't get them to budge. Should I be able to get them to move? The other question I have is the ball bearing that controls the park control to work properly does not move either. It doesn't retract. Is this common when the motor is not engaged? I have enclosed a couple of pictures. The blue/blk stripe wire is broken loose from the copper strip to the park control. I am not sure where to resolder it.
So, First can I test the motor with a 12v battery source and is it +12v to blue wire and neg to either the blue/wht stripe or blue/red stripe wire?
Second, should the wiper shafts semi rotate by taking a pliers to the shafts?
third, should the ball bearing below the copper strips of the park mechanism move freely?
Fourth, where should the blue/blk wire solder to the park mechanism? The blue wire and the blue/blk stripe wire do connect to one of the brushes in the motor.

Thanks,
Buck

20220926_211100.jpg

20220926_211121.jpg

You should be able to test the motor by itself, L to (+) and LR or LW to (-).

You may not be able to turn wiper shafts with pliers due to gear ratio.

That wire should solder to the top "reed" of the park switch. There is a tab that sticks out near the front screw.

That "ball bearing" moves up and down as the wipers cycle. It is normally down while the wipers are running to provide the ground path to the low speed brush after the wiper switch is turned off. It pops up in the park location to open the ground path and provide (+) 12v to the low speed brush to "brake" the motor.

I got the wiper motor to work. The problem I am having now is it won't shut off when I push the wiper switch totally in. If I connect the blue/blk stripe wire, that should be soldered into the top reed of the park switch, to the blue wire on the motor connector it will turn off. If if put the blue/blk stripe on the top reed where it should be soldered too it won't turn off.
I have connected +12v directly from battery to blue wire and I have hooked up neg battery wire to either the windshield wiper switch at ground or on body of wiper motor but either location doesn't allow to the motor to stop. I have installed wiper switch to dash.

Why won't it stop?

Thanks,
Buck

I suspect that reed switch may be dirty. Make sure the contacts are clean and the center and top reed contacts are touching when that thing pops up in the park position.

The connection of +12V to the low brush in the park position is key to getting it to stop, otherwise the motor will roll right through the park position. Without power connected (unplug windshield connecter near rear view mirror), check to see you have continuity between the center and top reeds in the park position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom