1970 FJ40 Rolling Chasis - What engine? Tranny? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Gang - I recently acquired a 1970 FJ40 Rolling chassis with many parts removed from the vehicle but in boxes, including but not limited to (2F engine, 3-on-the tree, one dana rear excel, and most interior/exterior trim parts in boxes). no seats or steering.

It does come with nice oversized rims and tires. 2F is in rough shape and possibly not run for over a decade. I am thinking about repowering with something else than the original setup as it's impossible to reconstruct with so many missing parts. Thinking either 350SB or something else GAS.

I JUST need it to run and drive. I would like 4wd but it will probably never be off-road. must go 65-70. My budget is 10K total and I am not worried about getting my hands dirty - and have some help as well.

The question is what will be the least painful swap. At this time - no brakes, harnesses, lights, or ANYTHING in the body. just a rolling chassis.

thumbnail_IMG_7681.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7682.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7683.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7684.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7685.jpg

If I was building one I would use a Chev LS.

One like this or better 313878227457
154769414295. Cheaper, check the miles
I'd look for a low mile engine and transmission out of a wrecked pickup.

I put a Cummins 4BT in one once, all the torque in the world, too noisy and I like diesels.

Last edited:
thanks - so 5.3LS it is. No issues with transmission outa silverado either right.

I’m currently in the process of an LS swap. Engine fits surprisingly well. Only real things that you’ll have to keep an eye out for are the exhaust headers and driveshaft lengths. My build is using a 5.7 LS with 4L60E 2WD tranny and the original 71 FJ transfer case.

24BE66D8-29D5-476B-87C2-BA6056BA4E79.jpeg

The body looks pretty good from what I can tell rust-wise, but it looks like it’s missing a ton. In my opinion, with what isn’t there and $10k being the budget, I’d sell (or trade) that one then add the proceeds to the $10k and get a complete, running and driving one. Since it doesn’t sound like super original is a priority, I wouldn’t think you’d have any problem finding a decent, drivable rig already converted to SBC for $10-15k.

Sell the original 1970 parts you have, sell the 2 F which is not original to the truck and that will add a little to the 10K. Still probably not enough to get you there but it’s a start. I often think I would like to start a project exactly where you are and build a modern powered 40.

Your hard top is worth a fair amount, so are the full doors.

I'm sure if you search you can find lots of threads with LS swaps.

My other recommendation is to take your time. If you have to have the parts tomorrow you will pay a premium. There are always deals, you just have to look.

Yotareon97: LS Looks great. Are you going with 2WD?

Skreddy: I have tons of parts - actually a trailer-full. Most interior and exterior parts are there in bins and boxes including most glass, trims, and hard-to-find stuff. Even has the original gauge cluster. Engine/tranny/trans case /barn doors/ all there. missing front seats and steering wheel (steering shaft with a 3-on tree also there.

70fj40: The Engine is original to the truck and numbers matched.

the 10K budget is for engine/trans swap and maybe getting body primed. I am particular about the exterior color and look of the FJ. The drivetrain is secondary. I would prefer a 4wd. I could not find a good running FJ for even 20K when I was looking.

Looks like good potential there. A couple misconceptions, 1970 didn't come with a 2F and numbers matching engine was never a thing for 40s. The engine number is not recorded with the vin.

Having most/a lot of the parts definitely makes it easier. Engine swaps, especially LS are pretty involved. I personally wouldn’t even consider any swap if I couldn’t keep 4wd. Also, for 65-70 mph, you don’t need a V8. My 1970 with the stock F engine will do 80 on 33’s.
All that said, definitely not trying to steer you away from building one if that’s what you want to do. I just figured with the budget and what you could likely get out of that one, shouldn’t be too hard to find one. Not sure where you’re located but maybe just need to look farther?

Yotareon97: LS Looks great. Are you going with 2WD?
Thanks! I am going with 4WD. I’m using a 2WD 4L60E to save a couple inches of length, and an Advanced Adapters 4L60E to Toyota T-Case adapter. Trying to retain the original transfer case shifter on the dash has been a fun thing to work around.

My son recently did a LS 5.3 with H55f manual and splitcase. Great combo. Build thread here if interested.

Pjohnson: Thanks for the correction - I appreciate it as I am novice to FJs. What I have is the original "F" engine removed from the same chassis hence previous owners' comment to me (a British guy) "numbers matched original" was just saying it was original to the vehicle. I confused 2F and F as I am reading so much on forums - my bad.

SKreddy: Thanks for pointing out that I can actually go with the original F engine. I will seriously consider keeping it all original.

Ceylonfj40nut: Exactly what I'd do if the F engine does not work out. I will look thru the post for details.

I am so excited about getting so much help, guys. Thank you.

I am reading so much on forums - my bad.
No worries. Just keep reading ;)
There is nothing that hasn't been done and posted here on Mud.

And in case you hadn't found it yet:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom