1970 fj40 electrical (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The other day I started up my dads old fj40 from sitting for 10 to 15 years that he said i could have it to work on and I noticed that nothing electrical worked at all so I noticed that the tail light wires were melted and touching the frame so they were shorting it out so I fixed that and my head light still don't work I was driving it around the yard and out of no were all my electrical besides my blower fan stopped working so is there any chance anyone has had this happen or know what could of happen.

Sounds like you have your hands full. You should invest in a manual (Toyota Factory Service Manual or Chilton's). Also check out Coolerman's site for schematics and information. He also rebuilds harnesses.

If nothing works, start by cleaning the fuse holders in the fuse block and then work back through the ignition switch and amp meter to the battery. After fixing the main power feed, then your problems should be isolated to a single fused circuit.

You can download the manuals AND the schematics you need here: Coolerman's Electrical Schematics and FSM File Retrieval

X2 on starting with the fuse panel. Disconnect the battery then use a .22 bore wire brush or a Dremel tool to clean the fuse clips. Pinch the clips a bit with needle nose pliers to make a tighter fit on the fuses. I would replace ALL the fuses with new ones just to be sure.

The other day I started up my dads old fj40 from sitting for 10 to 15 years that he said i could have it to work on and I noticed that nothing electrical worked at all so I noticed that the tail light wires were melted and touching the frame so they were shorting it out so I fixed that and my head light still don't work I was driving it around the yard and out of no were all my electrical besides my blower fan stopped working so is there any chance anyone has had this happen or know what could of happen.

My newbie 2-cents...

Is it pretty much stock? Yeah, check out Coolerman..(even if not stock). Also, there is a recent post I just bumped to the top that has pre-74 wiring diagram with color codes. First step would probably be to clean up wires and grounds and clean out the fusebox.. contacts, fuses, etc. If it worked before, then I bet this alone might fix it.

Good luck.. keep us posted.
:banana:-Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom