1970 FJ40 brake question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am working on a cousins 70 FJ40. The brakes went out so I found where they are leaking but can't find any info about this part of the brake system. It is leaking where the two brake lines are about half way down and under the passengers side. The lines connect to a part that makes the metal lines able to connect to two rubber lines. One of the rubber lines is leaking and both of them need to be replaced.
Can I get new lines? and do those lines go to a diverter? I cannot find a schematic or explanation anywhere.
Thank You for any info

There are several places to source brake line parts... Couple links below show schematics. Is it the hose itself?

There are several places to source brake line parts... Couple links below show schematics. Is it the hose itself?

Thank You Yes it is both hoses. The LC only has 13k miles on it but the hoses are dry rotted.

Is it just the soft lines that are leaking? The hard lines are good?

Thank You Yes it is both hoses. The LC only has 13k miles on it but the hoses are dry rotted.

I can't find the correct schematic on either website. The 70 LC has a single Master Cylinder. The line
Is it just the soft lines that are leaking? The hard lines are good?
Yes, they are 2 steel braided rubber lines. Hard lines are good. Where do they go? I don't see them on either schematic. They look like they go to the transfer case or something.

I can't find the correct schematic on either website. The 70 LC has a single Master Cylinder. The line starts at the master cylinder and then to drivers side brake, then to passengers side brake, then they split and go under the firewall, then the two lines meet and screw in to a metal splitter. One side of the metal splitter have two female threaded connectors for the hard lines and the other side of the metal connector is for the two rubber lines to slip over and clamped. The rubber lines are about a foot long each and go straight across to the center of the bottom of the LC and hook up to a equalizer valve? at the back of the transfer case?
The LC is 100 miles away so I am going on memory here.

Gosh, i cannot follow your description. And you got no pictures?

I can't find the correct schematic on either website. The 70 LC has a single Master Cylinder. The line starts at the master cylinder and then to drivers side brake, then to passengers side brake, then they split and go under the firewall, then the two lines meet and screw in to a metal splitter. One side of the metal splitter have two female threaded connectors for the hard lines and the other side of the metal connector is for the two rubber lines to slip over and clamped. The rubber lines are about a foot long each and go straight across to the center of the bottom of the LC and hook up to a equalizer valve? at the back of the transfer case?
The LC is 100 miles away so I am going on memory here.
Good time to upgrade to a dual circuit and 10mm fittings. There are adapters for the 3 bolt hole pattern to 4

Kind of sounds like you are describing the vacuum lines for the vacuum shift transfer case.
Unless as stated above you have some sort of non original set up.

Kind of sounds like you are describing the vacuum lines for the vacuum shift transfer case.
Yes, There is the pull knob in the cab that says FD that I followed through the firewall and that goes through a valve and then to the exhaust manifold. What are the two hoses? Brake fluid is spraying out from one of the hoses and draining the master cylinder and there are no brakes. Are these related? Thanks

Yes, There is the pull knob in the cab that says FD that I followed through the firewall and that goes through a valve and then to the exhaust manifold. What are the two hoses? Brake fluid is spraying out from one of the hoses and draining the master cylinder and there are no brakes. Are these related? Thanks

Is there a brake line near those 2 hoses that would make me think it was the hoses? I am working on this alone so could that be the case?

I was sorta thinking the same thing

I hate that the LC is a 220 mile round trip away. I will have to go back down there to see if there is a brake line near the vacuum shift transfer case. From the brake line schematic it does look like the rear break line does run down the middle of the LC. Can someone show me a schematic for the vacuum shift transfer case and lines? Thanks for your help...

These are pics of the Vacuum lines on my 9/69. (1970).
20220301_145304.jpg
20220301_145314.jpg

It has a 2f and 4speed and has had the brakes redone to 10 mm stuff. So a little different that stock.
The brake line to the rear runs along the frame.
There should not be any fluid of any kind in the vac. lines.
If you are seeing brake fluid in this area maybe there is a pin hole in the brake line spraying fluid up onto the vac. lines.
Geeze...this pic shows me my next preventative maintenance. Those hard vac lines look rough.

These are pics of the Vacuum lines on my 9/69. (1970).View attachment 2940424View attachment 2940425
It has a 2f and 4speed and has had the brakes redone to 10 mm stuff. So a little different that stock.
The brake line to the rear runs along the frame.
There should not be any fluid of any kind in the vac. lines.
If you are seeing brake fluid in this area maybe there is a pin hole in the brake line spraying fluid up onto the vac. lines.
Geeze...this pic shows me my next preventative maintenance. Those hard vac lines look rough.
That is it! Thanks! So I need to replace the vac lines and then find the leak to the back brakes. Obviously, the vac lines were getting sprayed from the break line and since I was doing this by myself I missed the brake line spraying on the vac lines. Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom