1970 FJ40 Ballast resistor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I`m not sure if it did stock, but you can certainly run a set up like that. I did on my '69.

i-qpDXPkB-L.jpg

Ballast resistor is stock on all F engines, 6903 - 7501, using OEM coil compatible with ballast resistor.

1648251604416.png

Ballast resistor is stock on all F engines, 6903 - 7501, using OEM coil compatible with ballast resistor.

View attachment 2962566

Looking on Amayama the 3/69-1/75 is grouped together. Click on the ballast resistor and shows 9/72-2/73 as 90919-04004 with 90919-04005 as a sub. Then 3/73-1/75 as 9091904005 with 9091904036 as a sub. Nothing for 3/69-8/72.

I`m not sure if it did stock, but you can certainly run a set up like that. I did on my '69.

i-qpDXPkB-L.jpg

1648265693715.png

1648265811516.png

1648265775587.png

thanks for all the help, just couldnt detect a condensor was ever on this truck. it is so unmolested including the wiring and bracket for the coil dosent have provisions to mount the condensor on it? bottom line it can only help make my points last longer. if anyone has a coil bracket to also hold the condensor let me know.

the Toyota site is down for a few days because of Covid???? I'll check back there later. Im assuming the links are to new condensors through toyota?

Paul......

@Crinkler

Your coil may or may not need the ballast resistor, depending on the construction of the coil. Some aftermarket coils have internal resistors, obviating the need for the external resistor. Maybe a PO made the change sometime in the last 50 years.

The only way to know for certain is the see if the coil is marked "needs external resistor" or by testing the resistance of the primary section of the coil ( across the + and - terminals) and comparing that to the standards (listed somewhere here on 'Mud). Before you add a resistor, I'd find out more about your current coil. Adding a resistor to a coil with internal resistance would likely result in a much weaker ignition spark.

Looking on Amayama the 3/69-1/75 is grouped together. Click on the ballast resistor and shows 9/72-2/73 as 90919-04004 with 90919-04005 as a sub. Then 3/73-1/75 as 9091904005 with 9091904036 as a sub. Nothing for 3/69-8/72.
@Living in the Past is correct, there is no separate listing for the ballast resistor 3903 - 7208, but it MAY be that way because the coil part number came integral with the resistor, such as illustrated in @ToyotaMatt 's pictures of his offering. I know the coil I got from Mark A. came that way.

When you could order tie rod ends from Toyota, they each came assembled with the tie rod they were connected to. I suppose it was Toyota's way of saying "you really need to replace the tie rod when you change out your tie rod end", or at least what their lawyers said.

@Crinkler

Your coil may or may not need the ballast resistor, depending on the construction of the coil. Some aftermarket coils have internal resistors, obviating the need for the external resistor. Maybe a PO made the change sometime in the last 50 years.

The only way to know for certain is the see if the coil is marked "needs external resistor" or by testing the resistance of the primary section of the coil ( across the + and - terminals) and comparing that to the standards (listed somewhere here on 'Mud). Before you add a resistor, I'd find out more about your current coil. Adding a resistor to a coil with internal resistance would likely result in a much weaker ignition spark.

@Living in the Past is correct, there is no separate listing for the ballast resistor 3903 - 7208, but it MAY be that way because the coil part number came integral with the resistor, such as illustrated in @ToyotaMatt 's pictures of his offering. I know the coil I got from Mark A. came that way.

When you could order tie rod ends from Toyota, they each came assembled with the tie rod they were connected to. I suppose it was Toyota's way of saying "you really need to replace the tie rod when you change out your tie rod end", or at least what their lawyers said.

Little research shows the 9/71-9/72 using the coil/resistor combo the 9/72- 2/73 as a replacement. The 3/69-9/71 having a diff part number and different sub. That shows other markets using thru coil thru the seventies. The resistor is part of emissions. 72 model was only sold as a combo. Later could buy the resistor separately.

I have yet to figure out Toyota's reasoning. During the seventies could but kits for all brake and clutch cylinders. Same with a fuel pump. 60 series in other markets had grab handles on the B pillars. I installed them in my FJ62. Threaded holes were already thread. 3rd and 4th gen 4Runners had grab handles on all A and B pillars. 5th gen only on the passenger's A pillar. When we our bought 04 4Runner side airbags were only available on a package that included a sunroof. Had many more experiences of how Toyota did things made no sense.

I don't have one handy at the moment but think an early 68-71 wiring diagram would show a resistor in line with the coil? I am open to the idea 70 may had one. Just thinking of possible ways to verify. I know my 68 didn't have one in 74 when I bought it. But know the engine had been rebuilt already. Had the air pump port on the air cleaner sealed professionally with a plug. Same with the ports for the air rail in the head. Would think it had an air pump except for the fact only has a single pulley on the harmonic balancer. Toyota making things hard to find out on early cruisers is nothing new. By 1980 remember the parts guy pulling out the paper parts book when I said I had a 68.

I tried that, by first looking at the '73 wiring diagram on Coolerman's website. It has an OEM diagram labeled "FJ40 1972/1973". My '73 definitely has the ballast resistor, but the wiring diagram didn't show it.

Later diagrams, which have the three element (red/amber/white) rear combination lamps, illustrate a resistor on top of the coil.

So I have several wiring diagrams. The diagram matches well with the exception of only a five fuse block? Wiring junctions for the front lights are correct thou.
0327220943.jpg

0327220944.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom