1970 FJ40 - Axle shifted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to avoid cluttering with posts but I came across something I can't quite figure out. My 1970 FJ40 front axle appears to have an anomaly. The passenger side wheel protrudes about 1.5 inches out, whereas the driver side wheel seems to fit in its correct position. The reason I can't figure this out is because my friend recently bought a 1973 fj40 and it has the same front passenger wheel sticking out. Two FJ40s with the same strange wheel positioning.

Any idea why it's like this? Is this by design? Maybe failing suspension, spacers, issue with axle. But for this to occur in two similar 40s? I'm blown away if it is. Seems so strange.

I'll try to get pics up. Just imagine, the front passenger wheel extending out 1.5 inches farther than the other side. Almost as if the axle has been extended on the right side. But it hasn't. It's the original.

The "offset" of the rims used on the right and left sides might be different. Have you checked the rim offset? Just an idea.

No, I'll look at the offset.

But what's really odd is that both of these fj40s have the same offset at the same place. That seems highly coincidental.

Well, the axle has a few clips. One is the hub end and other is in differential. If both are missing, maybe ?

Well, the axle has a few clips. One is the hub end and other is in differential. If both are missing, maybe ?
He mentioned "Front" axle. No clips in the front diff.

If it were me, I would put it on jack stands and with wheels off get some good measurements and pics for here. If you are measuring that 1-1/2” difference from the fenders, it could be bodywork alignment, distorted springs, or a bent frame to name a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom