1970 carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finishing up a build on a 1970 fj40 and I'm having a problem with the carb draining fuel while sitting. It runs great otherwise. I've taken the carb apart to flush everything. Any ideas??
20190412_203506.jpg

If I cant get this sorted, can I use a carb from a 74 (1.5F) ???

It is a common issue. My feeling is that it is due to the use of reformulated or oxygenated gasoline. It is more polar and has a higher surface tension, so it will creep out of the bowl through the idle / slow circuits. Try using straight gasoline if you can get it in your area.

If you can’t find straight gasoline, you can make it by mixing reformulated gasoline with water, 4:1 with 4 parts gas to one part water. Then siphon off the gasoline. This removes the ethanol and other polar components of gasoline. It is a PITA, but might be OK for small engines where you don’t want oxygenated gasoline siting for a long time.

Last edited:
x2 I've seen dozen's of threads mentioning the fuel bowl draining issue. 74 carb isn't set up to use a cable style throttle. So you'd need to modify it to accept the cable or find a 73-74 mechanical style throttle linkage. Would suck to go through that hassle only to find the 74 bowl siphon's also.

I'm going to treacherous territory, but wouldn't an electric fuel pump come in handy here, with the key at "on" for a bit to fill the bowl before you kick the starter?

x2 I've seen dozen's of threads mentioning the fuel bowl draining issue. 74 carb isn't set up to use a cable style throttle. So you'd need to modify it to accept the cable or find a 73-74 mechanical style throttle linkage. Would suck to go through that hassle only to find the 74 bowl siphon's also.
So that being said... the truck is a 74 with a 1970 f installed. It still uses the 74 throttle assembly
20190413_145721.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom