1969 FJ55 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nothing is ever easy with Pigs...

Ordered more lizardskin. I checked the stuff that went bad and it was actually still in date, so for anyone that uses it, probably best to spray it when you get it (my intention that was prevented by unforeseen delays), and not rely on it lasting to the date. I'm sure most batches will make it through the date on the bucket, but I wouldn't rely on that given how expensive the stuff is.

Jmack, Ron and anyone else using the restomodair unit, I have 2 questions
  1. where did you end up mounting your floor vent (pic below, because hey, I needed a pic to make this post look authentic). It looks like up high on the firewall is my only good option, but would like to see where you guys went before mounting mine
  2. did you just use zip ties to secure the hoses both to the heat/air outlets on the unit and to the vents?

Rodney,

As of today, I'm not using the floor vents. That might change when I get in there again. There are only four outlets for the heat and there are three defrost vents, plus I want to use the side vents for defrost also. So, I'm on not using any floor dumps.

Zip ties and those little metal clips.

I don't know if it is too late but you may want to address your headliner options before you weld the roll cage. I had a headliner in mine made like the door cards and I took it out with brute force and cutting devices. good luck, I'm on the dash board phase too and yours looks clean.

Megadoomer, I somehow missed your post. I'm not using a headliner. The entire interior will be bedliner

Finally have the lizardskin sprayed, heat and sound shields, which of course means I'll now think of something else that needs to be welded to the body

I also made a final (?) decision on a color. Not sure how well it will show on the forums but here it is. A base coat went on today. It's just something to lay the bedliner over, but I hope to get some pics tomorrow

Finally have the lizardskin sprayed, heat and sound shields, which of course means I'll now think of something else that needs to be welded to the body

Were you able to get your split case to fit without modifying the floor?

No, but Jessi believes he can make the fit without having to weld. His plan involves a mod to the floor and a bolt on tunnel cover. I am going on trust at this point. If he's wrong...well, I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it

No, but Jessi believes he can make the fit without having to weld. His plan involves a mod to the floor and a bolt on tunnel cover. I am going on trust at this point. If he's wrong...well, I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it

On mine I had to cut the floor stiffener that runs at the back of the factory tunnel to clear the transfer case shift linkage and weld new steel to stiffen the floor back up, also I need to lengthen the rear hump 3”.

Hopefully it won't be an issue, and if it is, I just have to hope it's one with an acceptable solution :(

Wow, I can't believe I haven't run across your build thread till now. You sure have taken her to a new level! I can't wait to see the end result!

Carmon

Wow, I can't believe I haven't run across your build thread till now. You sure have taken her to a new level! I can't wait to see the end result!

Carmon

Thanks Carmon. Unfortunately, its been on a prolonged hiatus. I did get a base coat of paint on it but wasn't crazy about the color, so I'll be changing when I do the tinted bedliner. The guy I have working on it has been swamped and hasn't been able to touch it in 4 months. He thinks he sees an opportunity coming up to work on it some more. Once he does I'll post more.

Here's the current color. Turned out much browner than I imagined so this will be changing

Also, given how long this is taken, I'm currently thinking I will skip the snorkel and the 2nd tank so I can get it running a little sooner. We'll see once I can actually get the project moving forward again. I'll make the final decision when the time comes.

Rodney,

Good to hear from you! Getting worried. I like the color, maybe use a off white or cream second color. Looking forward to seeing some progress.

Thanks Ron, I'm looking forward to seeing some progress too! My fabricator has been slammed with one thing after another and hasn't come up for air in months. We thought he'd get back on it in December which was pushed back to Jan and now its going to be February. Saves me money, but sure isn't good for my reflux ;).

As for the color, I think I want to go monotone except for the bumpers, rack which will be black and I'm just not sure how well this color will stand on its own. Below is the color I was shooting for, but the Pig turned out too brown IMO

Thanks Carmon. Unfortunately, its been on a prolonged hiatus. I did get a base coat of paint on it but wasn't crazy about the color, so I'll be changing when I do the tinted bedliner. The guy I have working on it has been swamped and hasn't been able to touch it in 4 months. He thinks he sees an opportunity coming up to work on it some more. Once he does I'll post more.

Here's the current color. Turned out much browner than I imagined so this will be changing

You might wait and see if that color grows on you! I like it. I think it would look boss with the right color white around the windows...

You know really, it's going to look good with some black pieces on it. Bumpers, maybe even the door handles, etc.

I hate picking colors! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom