1969 FJ45 ute Western Aus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
I believe the last post I made would have been around 2009 https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj45-ute-perth-two-beds-1968-spares.340796/ yes it has been 5 or so years since I sold my ute at the age of 16! Recently i caught the bug again and couldn't let up on a good deal, so last week I took the 6 hour drive to a small seaside town called Horrocks on the coast of Western Australia and pulled this back with me. She is still registered and has her original plates, well had both original plates till i lost one on the way home after dragging her back at around 110km/h... More than likely the quickest it has ever moved!
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG

Nice rigs mate

Looks like a clean old truck bet you wish you kept the red ute tube you had with the 68. :)

Last edited:
Matty, we need to talk ;)

Damn man that's straight! I see no heater, same as mine. Also long steps but they're a two-piece as per pre-'67? I also thought bib parkers were pre-'67 and I thought apron indicators arrived in '67 too..?

Natty can I see a front on dash knob pic pls to help me source my kissing knobs?

Damn man that's straight! I see no heater, same as mine. Also long steps but they're a two-piece as per pre-'67? I also thought bib parkers were pre-'67 and I thought apron indicators arrived in '67 too..?

Natty can I see a front on dash knob pic pls to help me source my kissing knobs?

Hey mate, just checked the vin- Fj45-38820 it is actually a 1965 and was built in September or October, interesting as even the registration papers say 1969. Sure thing ill take a pic this arvo, i barely know what half of the knobs do will have to trace some wires tonight..

Hey mate, just checked the vin- Fj45-38820 it is actually a 1965 and was built in September or October, interesting as even the registration papers say 1969. Sure thing ill take a pic this arvo, i barely know what half of the knobs do will have to trace some wires tonight..

Looks like a 69 to me. Using this chart http://www.sor.com/catframe.sor it appears your using the FJ40 chart not the FJ45 chart. Click the 45 tag toward the top. Only goes into 68 but number look to make it a 69. The knobs used to hold the windshield up started with the 68 model. Bib light lasted thru 69 models in the US. Turn signals switched to that style early in the 69 model. In the US 68 and 69 models had amber reflectors on the aprons. Starting with e 70 model around 9/69 they were rectangular lights. This is the US market and may be different in Australia

Man it's clean how many miles ? hope you somehow get the plate back.
Hey mate I have the vin plate, but it didnt have a date on it. 40000 miles "apparently"

Looks like a 69 to me. Using this chart http://www.sor.com/catframe.sor it appears your using the FJ40 chart not the FJ45 chart. Click the 45 tag toward the top. Only goes into 68 but number look to make it a 69. The knobs used to hold the windshield up started with the 68 model. Bib light lasted thru 69 models in the US. Turn signals switched to that style early in the 69 model. In the US 68 and 69 models had amber reflectors on the aprons. Starting with e 70 model around 9/69 they were rectangular lights. This is the US market and may be different in Australia

Thanks for the clarification mate, Im quite far out of the loop after not looking at 45's for the last half decade.

On another note the chassis has been extended around 30cms

Last edited:
The wheel base on my 1978 is 10 ft 7 inches and yours looks longer in length. Can you take some photo's of the extension.

My '69 has no bib lights, has apron indicators, has ribbed dash and has interior windshield knobs.

I'm still going '65. First year of the RT.

Knobs on the dash started with the 68 model. The two level pad on the hood for the windshield started with the 69 model as far as I know. My 9/67 production 68 model has single level pads about twice as high as the 67 and earlier. Rearview mirror that was designed to pop off started with the 68 model. 68 and later the glove box door has a long hinge and cable used as a stop. 67 and earlier two arm on either side. The longer running board started with the 65 model and switch to a diamond plate on top during 69. Bib lights were removed during 69 and turn signals switch from round to rectangle during 69 also. The VIN stamped on the frame was used only once, which market it was sent to didn't matter. The chart I linked is true world wide. SOR dropped during 68 on the 45 series I'm guessing since Toyota stopped importing any style 45 after the 67 model.

LITP you're probably right and it could be a '69, but I reckon there's market differences that blur the lines plenty. Ribbed dash til '71 in Aus vs. '67 in the US case-in-point. Also, my '69 glove box has the two long hinges and the '68 45 that @andrews520 has sports the rectangular indicators.

Plenty of grey area in the early girls that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom