1969 Fj40 Rewire-Colorado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 14 circuit Kwik Wire kit that was given to me. Planning on rewiring the fj. Anyone out there that can give me the dos and don't with rewiring my fj? Thanks. Jim

Take your time. Pray often.

All kidding aside, even getting the bugs out an almost 55 year old harness is not for the faint of heart, even when slightly abused. I unwrapped every tape so I could map it to coolermans wiring diagram

Starting from scratch makes it feel cleaner, but to integrate into the orginal switches like turn signal, emergency, wiper and headlight switch will test your sanity.

Good luck

20230101_184829.jpg

I would use a common ground bus wire that has several branches for the various circuits all tied to the tub in a few locations. I would ground the higher current loads separately (headlights, blower, etc) to the tub or frame. Ground tub and starter to the frame and frame to the battery neg.

I would use a common ground bus wire that has several branches for the various circuits all tied to the tub in a few locations. I would ground the higher current loads separately (headlights, blower, etc) to the tub or frame. Ground tub and starter to the frame and frame to the battery neg.
Much Thanks for advice. Will do. Jim

I think most of the loads are grounded by their mounting so it will mostly be lights you will need to ground. Some items exposed to the environment (like tail lights) may benefit from an additional ground wire.

I think most of the loads are grounded by their mounting so it will mostly be lights you will need to ground. Some items exposed to the environment (like tail lights) may benefit from an additional ground wire.
Much Thanks. Jim

I'm doing essentially the same here with my 1978. I've actually converged enough that the end result is kind of a hybrid system. If you do proceed, my understanding is that Toyota does hazard/flasher completely differently from how GM systems work. When others have done this, that's been the most difficult circuit to get right, and instead of following the Kwik Wire/GM diagrams, make sure you follow the original Toyota wiring diagram.

I agree with the bus bar options above - it's far easier to wire good grounds and ensure you have a good connection.

Map it out and do it one circuit at a time and very each circuit before proceeding to the next one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom