1969 FJ40 - Restore or Restomod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As evidenced by my recent threads, I have recently purchased a 1969 FJ40 named WarPaint. I have yet to get her running but she is mostly a survivor. I believe all body panels, motor, and running gear are original. There are some things that are not, like headers, carb, seats, roll bar, and perhaps mirrors (still looking into this). I am generally a modder. I like performance and have been interested in a swapped FJ40 (LS or 4bt) for a while. I would also do brakes, power steering, and probably SOA.

This whole survivor bit has me thinking though. I know there is some merit in keeping survivors around and I also know it is my truck that I plan on keeping for a while. My youngest 2 boys (15 and 13) will drive her around town and to the lake. My plan is to get the 1F started and the WarPaint running under her own power and evaluate. Getting it all written out and seeking y'alls thoughts is part of my process.
20230412_195031.jpg
20230418_175222.jpg
20230418_180457.jpg
20230418_175151.jpg

I have a 1969 all original. I am a purist and feel strongly to keep it original. These vehicles are really historic and built in a time period when auto manufacturing was really changing. I know when FJ40s were in new condition many 4 wheel drive companies came on line for engine swaps, roll bars, etc.. and that was fine, but with so many people doing that the historic vehicles are now hard to find. It is all up to you. Years ago there was a company that would actually take brand new FJ40s and swap the engine to Chevy 327.

I have a 1969 all original. I am a purist and feel strongly to keep it original. These vehicles are really historic and built in a time period when auto manufacturing was really changing. I know when FJ40s were in new condition many 4 wheel drive companies came on line for engine swaps, roll bars, etc.. and that was fine, but with so many people doing that the historic vehicles are now hard to find. It is all up to you. Years ago there was a company that would actually take brand new FJ40s and swap the engine to Chevy 327.

I appreciate your thoughts. I am far from a purist, but I won't lie I was disappointed to find the engine is original. I was hoping for a replant to make the decision easy.

Hey! I have been watching your other thread! You sure do have a nice survivor. Especially since you have original front clip with the original paint. It'll look absolutely fantastic after a patina treatment.

I too have been mostly a modder my whole life, with the exception of survivors like what you got. Part of the fun of driving old survivor is learning how to handle all drum brakes, a clunky 3-speed column shifter, manual steering, carb and choke, etc.

There is a middle ground however. Single circuit brake system really scares some folks. You can convert to front disc and dual master pretty easily. You already have a spin on oil filter conversion, a header and a floor shift conversion. And a roll bar. If this were mine, I wouldn't do much more than that and just focus on getting it road worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom