For Sale 1969 FJ40, Not mine, found it on Craigslist. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

at that price, I wouldn't even consider it. my fingers would be tired typing out all the issues
Ahahaha, that's awesome. I'm learning, slowly but surely. Trying to research so when I say HELL NO, I can back it up

I'm assuming you don't know much about FJ40's given you joined a few days ago and have 12 posts. My recommendation is "Read"... these things are pretty simple, but they do have issues that you want to avoid. Any of these FJ40's can be brought back to life, but they are not cheap to restore. Ask yourself if you have the skills to own a 50 year old truck. Are you willing to pay someone to maintain it or address issues that exist with a 50 y/o truck. Do you have the funds to maintain a 50 y/o truck. Are you willing to invest time in researching how to solve problems you will encounter? If you have only owned late model vehicles then this will be a journey for you. I've restored 5 (on my 6th now) and I always learn something. There is no formula for restoring these trucks. It's all about investing time to learn and make decisions based on experience... at the end of the day it will require experience (or a big budget to pay someone) to own, maintain or upgrade one of these trucks. I took a leap of faith 20 years ago and bought an FJ40 (knowing nothing about them). I've learned a lot over the year and I'm confident that I can brings one of these trucks back from the dead. BUT ... it took owning a few of them to be able to have that confidence. Best of luck to you...

I'm assuming you don't know much about FJ40's given you joined a few days ago and have 12 posts. My recommendation is "Read"... these things are pretty simple, but they do have issues that you want to avoid. Any of these FJ40's can be brought back to life, but they are not cheap to restore. Ask yourself if you have the skills to own a 50 year old truck. Are you willing to pay someone to maintain it or address issues that exist with a 50 y/o truck. Do you have the funds to maintain a 50 y/o truck. Are you willing to invest time in researching how to solve problems you will encounter? If you have only owned late model vehicles then this will be a journey for you. I've restored 5 (on my 6th now) and I always learn something. There is no formula for restoring these trucks. It's all about investing time to learn and make decisions based on experience... at the end of the day it will require experience (or a big budget to pay someone) to own, maintain or upgrade one of these trucks. I took a leap of faith 20 years ago and bought an FJ40 (knowing nothing about them). I've learned a lot over the year and I'm confident that I can brings one of these trucks back from the dead. BUT ... it took owning a few of them to be able to have that confidence. Best of luck to you...
Very honest and appreciated answer. Definitely new. But love these trucks and just want to learn. I'm for sure reading a lot, and love the sharing of knowledge in this community.

Very honest and appreciated answer. Definitely new. But love these trucks and just want to learn. I'm for sure reading a lot, and love the sharing of knowledge in this community.
Oslivin,
As sbechtold said a big learning curve, but worth the effort. If I were you I'd start reading the build threads pages. I learned a ton from them before taking on a 40.
Craig

I’m no expert but at first glance, it’s had a lot of additional wiring done, can see rust at bottom of doors inside, missing a wiper and rear hatch interior handle. And white paint, everywhere, on everything. Underhood you can see even a lot of the wiring was painted over. At $25k asking price, I’d be expecting a really good original paint and mechanically sound or a slightly older (10-15 year) restoration. I’d bet this one doesn’t look as nice in person.

And missing heaters and dash pads.... Even spray painted over the high beam indicator in the gauge cluster.

Im interested to hear all the issues on this one.

the above, plus, wrong front turn signals, wrong side reflectors, no weather stripping around doors- you can see day light around the pass door and rear hatch-, wires out the bottom of the gas tank sump under the frame,, looks like the wrong carb for a 69, DUI distributor, missing lower dash pads, wrong door mirrors, wrong turn signal stalk assembly, wrong left turn signal light in dash, terrible tape off job around the pieces on the dash, driver door limitor broken, the steel under the driver seat looks like it was replaced with plate, etc, etc

I have seen this FJ40 in person. I live about 5 miles from this place. The guy there just looked up what he thought was comparable ads and came up with a price. It is pretty rough aside from all of the incorrect parts. A lot of it looks like it was painted with a rattle can. Hard to tell what is hiding underneath, but I ran a magnet over some body parts and lost some magnetism on the door bottoms and rear quarters.

Not interested in slamming this sale, but since people asked, that is my opinion.

Thanks everyone. I couldn’t see all that at first glance. Your opinions seem grounded in fact.

I have a pet peeve of those who rattle can everything inside one color. Sometimes it's even on otherwise nice rigs. They sell pewter in a can too. :( I know they knew that, they used some to paint over the high beam indicator lens.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom