1969 FJ40 help please?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Carb??

Dusty or anyone else???

Can you tell me what carb I have? I assume I need to rebuild it so that is on my list. I could not see any markings on it showing what it is? I know their are 36/36 36/38 etc. out there.

Thanks for any info:)

I have dizzy's and carbs here in Phoenix. I just saw this post after replying to your's on the Copper State board.

Another direction?

Also wanted to know if a 2F would connect to my 3 speed tranny or do I need to convert it to the 4 speed to get a 2F to work in my 69?

2F is A Bolt up to the 3 Speed bell housing no problem.

a 2F and a 4 speed is not so EZ.... but I did It :D

Link to this my answer alot of questions Cruiser Outfitters

1. 2F engine and 4 speed bell housing and the 4 speed tranny
  2. you have the choice or a three finger or Diaphragm clutch
  3. 4speed to three speed transfer case adapter this will give you a 27% lower gear in low range
  4. you can also use a later transfer case then you will have to change drive shaft flanges
  5. also you need to modify the drive shafts lengthen and shorten
  6. also need to modify the existing transfer case linkage or go to direct shift
  7. cut transmission tunnel for shifter and install boot
  8. you may need to modify the rear motor mounts so the 4speed clears the tranny tunnel
This is what comes off the top of my head I may have missed something :hmm:

By chance is this the FJ that was on craigslist? If it is, Call me and i can fill you in on the details of your new FJ.

This is the FJ from craigslist. I was going to buy it, but had a mishap at a house we're building and had to do the responsible thing and spend the money there:bang: (Timing can really piss a guy off sometimes)

Good luck with the build and congrats. I will definitely be following this build:crybaby:

Mike

one thing at a time

when troubleshooting a problem try to verify one thing at a time. if the engine ran (even poorly) don't go adjusting fuel and spark at the same time. if the problem is spark then adjusting the carb will not fix it. looks like the distributor has been pulled so now you don't know where the timing is. my advise is to install the distributor (dizzy) you intend to use and verify spark and timing before tackling the carb. stabbing a distributor is fairly easy to do right and just as easy to do wrong. maybe there is a mud member close that can lend a hand?:hmm:

spark plugs

Yeah guys got this in Gilbert AZ, off of craiglist. Was looking for a decent looking FJ40 and this was what I was looking for the original look.

I was hoping the guy in flagstaff did not sell that 2f, 4 speed, and transfer case. I was considering throwing in the 2f.

Back to the original plan :) Getting the F engine to work.

Pulled all the spark plugs and behold matte black plugs. Good smell of fuel in there, I wonder if the choke is stuck?

Anyways I will work on the distributor issue first, then tackle the carb issue.

Thanks guys for all the help. I am going to need it. Still love the FJ even though it is a garage paper weight for the time being. I do want to do it some justice since it has been sitting so long without some TLC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom