Builds 1969 FJ40 Father / Son Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Mark - yes they are aftermarket. I had looked around bit for a stock set and noticed these were already powder coated and it matched close enough to my rims. They advertise them as being a heavier duty set.
By the way I’ll have to give you a call soon and see if you have lots of soft goods!

Got the tub on today and thankfully the mounts still lined up. I’m staring at it now wondering what’s next. Maybe I the rest of the transfer case linkage hooked up since I worked that already. I didn’t like the fit between the fastener and the hole so made a brass bushing.

View attachment 3150977View attachment 3150978
Shane, the 40 looks fantastic! Cool to see the progress you are making. Should be driving it next summer!?

Shane, the 40 looks fantastic! Cool to see the progress you are making. Should be driving it next summer!?
Thanks! I appreciate it. I've feel like I've been out of the loop a bit and not keeping up on the forum. Hope your projects are going well. I'm just trying to keep pushing forward and getting stuff done every week. I think next summer is reasonable and a good goal. As I get further it get's more real to be able to drive it so that definately helps :)

If you bust on it, could be done by Christmas. :)

Really though, no rush. Enjoy the journey!

Do NOT rush the dash. Highest likelihood of chipping paint.

Thanks Mark - yes they are aftermarket. I had looked around bit for a stock set and noticed these were already powder coated and it matched close enough to my rims. They advertise them as being a heavier duty set.
By the way I’ll have to give you a call soon and see if you have lots of soft goods!
There’s a fair chance this piece of NOS NLA will go home with you:

9AD0C909-17B9-4254-A770-911F5D4A4FCD.jpeg

There’s a fair chance this piece of NOS NLA will go home with you:
Yup - it's safe to say mine just busted to pieces. I'm hauling the last of the body panels to get sprayed today or tomorrow and when I get those back I'll be itching to get the seals together. I'm not necessarily in a hurry in stall windows and put the body together but I need to get things off the floor of our bedrooms! haha.

One item at a time; I have to tell myself to keep my anxiety at bay. Got the transfer case linkage completed and the vent installed. Luckily those plastic bushing were still there so just cleaned everything up and put some light oil on it (ignore the throttle cable sticking through the vent).
I sandblasted the ashtray and glove box, small amount of body filler and will shoot those in pewter. I didn’t want to add to the body shop cost so gonna do those myself.

Heater box and blower are next. I took a look at the core and seems to be ok? So I’ll give it a shot. Everything costs money…

8A8F2427-04DD-46C4-95E0-F9BDAFA652B3.jpeg
2578113B-F0CA-47D7-9D4C-71E043E43484.jpeg

One item at a time; I have to tell myself to keep my anxiety at bay. Got the transfer case linkage completed and the vent installed. Luckily those plastic bushing were still there so just cleaned everything up and put some light oil on it (ignore the throttle cable sticking through the vent).
I sandblasted the ashtray and glove box, small amount of body filler and will shoot those in pewter. I didn’t want to add to the body shop cost so gonna do those myself.

Heater box and blower are next. I took a look at the core and seems to be ok? So I’ll give it a shot. Everything costs money…

View attachment 3167428View attachment 3167429
The little bits really do add up fast $$$$$! And they arent “seen”, so its hard to feel like its money well spent. This thing is going to be so nice!

Hello, I am having a similar issue with my pinon spacer 29.8" it fits perfectly with no space on either side. I can remove it with my fingers and dental pick. Just wondering, when I look at the min standard .060mm/.0024in it is very thin. I have a fuelers gauge at .002 and it's paper thin. So, I'm wondering if it really matters that mine is touching or should I get it milled like you did. Also, is the min standard measurement .060mm/.0024in for one side? or is it .060mm/.0024in for each axel end? Just curious if less is better in this case and I shouldn't worry about it. Lastly, does it hurt the temper of the steel to mill it again?
Thanks,

Hey there - I had to look back to remember what I had going on with mine; it's been so long! The way I read the manual is per side; so you may end up taking off a little more off one side vs. the other based on the centering, etc. I can't speak to what the issues would be if you have less clearance; maybe someone else can chime in.
As for the spacer temper I don't know that it's highly stressed, but you can keep it pretty cool when machining if you're concerned about it. In my case when I machined it, it did not seem overly hard (cut pretty easy; you can usually tell if it's a pain on my cutters). Sorry I don't have more info.

Hey there - I had to look back to remember what I had going on with mine; it's been so long! The way I read the manual is per side; so you may end up taking off a little more off one side vs. the other based on the centering, etc. I can't speak to what the issues would be if you have less clearance; maybe someone else can chime in.
As for the spacer temper I don't know that it's highly stressed, but you can keep it pretty cool when machining if you're concerned about it. In my case when I machined it, it did not seem overly hard (cut pretty easy; you can usually tell if it's a pain on my cutters). Sorry I don't have more info.
Thank you. I appreciate the advice. i'll put it out in a new thread.

The theme lately has been parts. More parts from the body shop. They’re on the last of the pieces and shot all the beige. Last is the top. Got it to them to sand down, do some filler and repair any rust on the gutter. I picked it up today and now have to rivet the gutter in and do the seam sealer, then she’ll go back for paint. I was pretty lucky, the gutter was very clean overall.

F33901F1-8176-4CD3-8089-EF083AA50AA1.jpeg

The past couple weeks I’ve been dealing with the cap. I had taken it to the body shop, but when I picked up the painted gutter to reattach to the cap, you could tell there was still rust. So began sanding, grinding, welding. And finally took it to sandblast today- I don’t want any rust on that guy.
A20C4A29-3498-4555-B9A3-04F26CE9EA3B.jpeg
1AB0F76C-C372-471A-A036-0CFEE8F83790.jpeg
0000A7AF-EF78-4288-A7E4-B12CA083DC93.jpeg

Crazy how they missed that rust. And they were doing so good before.

This is the second setback I’ve heard of this week with a local customer. Marcus, the current owner of Morgan’s old 69FJ40 just had his tub delivered from the sandblaster on a flatbed, and had the heart wrenching experience of seeing a big shiny spot in the middle of the rear sill (whereas the rest of the tub was in that dull, ready-to-flash-rust color. Climbing up onto the truck it was immediately apparent that they hit it with the forklift while they were loading it. He said the bed no has a crease down its entire length. :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom