1969 FJ40 cowl gasket source (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me someone makes the gasket for the cowl vent of a 1969 FJ40?

I tried to upload an image, but I am over quota and can't figure out how to delete old posts with images of mine.

Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing. Its the air vent on top of the hood. There's a lever you push in on the dash that lets in fresh air. I know most people just buy the solid metal cover and seal it off, but I wanted to keep it.

You can find many types of universal automotive weatherstrip in ebay as well as other sources. Just cut it to length and install.

I ended taking a piece of gasket material and cut it into an oval/rectangle shape the same size as the metal piece that has the 2 small holes for the little bolts. Used 3m adhesive and glued it to it. Then put it in place and put nuts on little bolts to hold it. Looks good. I think it will be good enough. The only real concern to even have it was for keep out moisture.

Thanks. I'll get some gasket material and make my own.

mcwinery - I see in your tagline you have a 1969fj40 as well. I just got mine back on the road after an 8-year sloooow rebuild. Finally I can just tinker on things, drive it some and not worry about it falling apart faster than I repair it.

You can check in my sale post and see if the piece behind the vise and around the heater motor is what you are looking for. It was still in the package and covered with the powder used to preserve rubber. I bought a bunch of odds and ends and not sure what they are for yet. I can do measurement and/pics if it will help.
If SOR sold them a few years ago, then this is where it came from.
Shane

it is not available. best to post up in classifieds

this one?
DSCN1606.jpg

No, not that one. I think mine is in good shape. It's the one around the air in-take on top of hood. Let's see, seems like I can post some images now...... (must have received more room to upload pictures now that I have posted some)
cowl gasket.jpg

Is this what this is?
Seems a littte long for a vent, but I don't have that year model.
The tape measure gives an idea of the length.
vent gasket  and light 001.jpg

No, that gasket would be too big. I think I'll take one poster's advice and fabricate my own.

Is this what this is?
Seems a littte long for a vent, but I don't have that year model.
The tape measure gives an idea of the length.

2F rocker cover gasket...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom