1969 FJ 40 NJ (Tetanus) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have not gone through the rig real good yet, but here is what I know so far.

1969 - No doors or roof.
SBC 350
Automatic
Ford Master Cylinder
Needs fenders, hood, floors, rockers, quarters, rear door sill, etc.....

Already found hard doors.

Removed old speakers and radio.

20221101_182143.jpg

20221113_134955.jpg

20221113_135006.jpg

20221113_135016.jpg

20221113_140138.jpg

Last edited:
Boy... you sure have your work cut out for you. Welcome to the group! Get ready to get watch your bank account disappear.

That could be my 75's older brother! Mine is set up pretty much same way: 305 V8, th350, Saginaw PS, stubby rear drive shaft, etc. Welcome aboard and good luck.

So as I play and get to know the rig, it is funny how screwed up the electrical is. The aftermarket gauges installed before I purchased do not work when I turn on the parking/head lights. As soon as i turn them off, the gauges work again.

The SBC runs consistent at 200 degrees, yesterday I was driving around, it was 37 degrees, it stayed at 200, I can't see that staying at 200 during the summer. I have a new flex fan that came with the FJ, remove the electric fan from the aluminum radiator and install the new fan and will have to find a fan shroud.

Here is how I am looking at this project currently...

1. Replace the leaking power steering gear box with a Cardone Steering Gear box.
2. SBC 350 tune up, new plugs, wires, etc...
3. Replace exhaust from headers all the way back. Try to find room for two exhaust lines out the back.

While trying to finish my other project....

4. Clean and paint various body panels that are not rusted.
5. Look for a hard top since I do not like the soft top.
6. Look for various body panels that can just be unbolted and replaced and bolted on. (Hood, rear barn style doors, front bumper, rear hatch)

After my other project is finished....

7. Decide weather its easier to purchase an entire tub or start cutting and welding in patches. (outer and inner rockers, rear quarters, rear door sill).
8. Rewire the FJ since weird stuff happens when you turn on and off the lights.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Again, I am a newbie to the cruiser world, did the FJs come with carpet from the fire wall to the rear door sill? My guess is that it was installed later since the roll bar and seat frame were both mounted over top of the carpet. If its not original, I want to cut it out.

Thanks
DM3

Carpet is not stk and will promote rust. The engine probably runs at 200* because it has a 195* themostat installed. Personally I don't care for electric fans but some folks have made them work. Flex fans can be problematic because they don't pull enuff air at certain speeds. You might try it since you have it. I prefer a good fan shroud and an agressive straight fan. Others use a fan clutch and fan if there's enuff room.

Last edited:
That trans hangs way too low, something wrong in that set up.

Welcome - looks like the East Coast winters and salted roads has taken its toll on that rig. If it’s safe to drive, I would enjoy in its current state. That must rust repair is going to be expensive and time consuming. Might make sense if you want to just get some welding and fabrication skills.

Whatever you do, good luck.

I think it is a Sandy hurricane victim considering where it came from. I am looking at a full tub. The frame is not that bad, need to get the peeling coating off the frame, clean up and reseal with some kind of undercoat.

But it is fun to drive around.

So I am approaching the roof, roof sides and rear door in a different direction and would like some feedback.

I have a 69FJ, have hard doors, no hard top or roof sides, it has the rear half barn doors and hatch top (pic above). The tub is really bad, I have been looking around at available tubs and I think I am set on biting the bullet and ordering a aluminum 3/4 tub. I would like to switch to ambulance doors in the rear and use my existing spare tire carrier. So my questions is, will a 75 and newer 3/4 tub connect the same as the 74 and older to the cowl? Are the dimensions the same for the roof at the wind shield frame? I figured, since I am looking at the 3/4 tub, if the tubs are the same from the rear wheel wells forward to the connection at the cowl, I could order the 75 and newer tub, then get the roof and roof sides for the 75 newer FJ plus the ambulance doors.

Will this work?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom