IH 1968 Scout 800 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found this in a barn close to my place. no rust. 4 cyl 2 wheel drive. 8000 original miles. Needs gas line and clutch attention otherwise pretty mint.

IMG_5558.JPG

IMG_5559.JPG

IMG_5560.JPG

Found this in a barn close to my place. no rust. 4 cyl 2 wheel drive. 8000 original miles. Needs gas line and clutch attention otherwise pretty mint.
Any thoughts on what I should be checking in terms of getting it back on the road......Seller says fuel line and clutch need some attention.....Should I be looking at springs/suspension right away? You should see the interior......looks showroom. Can't wait to get the top off and tour the countryside!

What was the reasoning for a 2 wheel drive ? It doesn't make much sense to me. Wasn't the idea to be a working/go anywhere vehicle?

Less $$$ to go 2WD.

I wouldn't worry too much about suspension, brakes are the biggest concern. Lots of times a complete brake system rebuild is necessary if its been sitting a long time. New lines, master cylinder, and wheel cylinders. Sometimes new hard lines and flex lines too. I rescued my '73 from a life of sitting in a pasture and so I learned this the hard way. Mine is a truck that was 2wd- I converted to 4wd and it wasn't too difficult.

Well, I got lucky. Because my truck originally used a "divorced" transfer case, I only needed the case and a front axle. I found a couple of Travelalls in a local wrecker and stripped the transfer case, mounts, and floor shifter out of one of them. It bolted right into my truck. The factory had already drilled the frame holes even on the 2wd models.

For the front axle I found a Chevy Dana 60. The spring perches were about 1/8" different, so i modded the spring mount and used offset shackles. I also put a disk brake Chevy rear axle in at the same time. I wanted the best brakes I could get.

For a Scout you would need to find a 4wd transmission and transfer case combo. They used a Model 18 transfer case similar to most old Jeeps. It really depends on your budget and what you plan to do with the rig. I'd probably leave it original if you just want to use it for basic transportation. 2wd is usually cheaper in every way.

Wow! That thing is unreal clean!
I'd probably lean towards keeping it stock and putting a polish on it. Not many that rust free around here.

Wow! That thing is unreal clean!
I'd probably lean towards keeping it stock and putting a polish on it. Not many that rust free around here.
Yep. The story is someone owed someone some money way back and this was payment...... Has sat ever since. Someone who has looked at it thinks because it has sat so long that most seals will be dried out and need changing..... I am new to this but I know a steal when I see one.........

Where are you? How much $? Great find! The transfer case on a 68 would be a Dana 20, my sons 67 has a factory twin stick Dana 20. Not sure when they went to single stick Dana 20. The 2WD front axle mounting is the same as a 4WD, it uses a tube without a differential, same hubs even, cover plate instead of locking hub. What are your plans for it, just cruising the countryside?

Leave it 2wd and do this treatment..
It's not a bad thing to lower it because it was 2wd to begin with :D There were TONS of 4wd scouts.

f16014e3411792b4a7e89ca11898bfff.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom