1968 FJ55 Local East Coast Swine Transfer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now there are some decisions to make about the 68 Pig
Are you planning to run the 60 axles and outboard the springs or transfer all the 60 guts and brakes to the 55 axles? IIRC there is a 3” difference between the two.

Pig axles, 60 knuckles, etc

Are the 1968 axle’s coarse spline?

Seems like I ran into some sort of issue when I tried this on mine.

Interested on the console between the front seats if it’s grey and in decent shape.

Are the 1968 axle’s coarse spline?

Seems like I ran into some sort of issue when I tried this on mine.

I think they are, but I'm not sure if the 60 Birfs can swap over to the 68 inners? I still have a complete 76 front 55 axle. I'll salvage the knuckles-out parts regardless. There's always another project.

That 60 looks salvageable!
Way worse have been saved.

There's a lot of rust that's been covered and painted black. But yes, it's probably salvageable. It's worth more to me in pieces than I could get for a non-running, rusty project all the way up in Maine. Parts will go to a good cause to live on. It won't get crushed.

Last edited:
1) show me a picture of your firewall

2) IPOR makes a complete kit with template.

3) sadly yes. I would do a remote air cleaner like people do for snorkel installs. @FJ60Cam knows what to order to just put an OEM 80 style cleaner on the passenger side with OEM parts or if Sniper that too

4) yep

5) keep those 60 parts close. So many will be needed to make the 60/55 meld work. Small stuff adds way up.

Best I can do, otherwise inaccessible right now.

IMG_7335.jpeg

You can use the ‘76 inner axles with 60 knuckles and birfs, just need to grind a bit on the bells. The ‘69 will be course spline. Good time to swap the 3:73 chunks while you’re at it ;)
I meant to ask this as well. Thoughts on 3.73 with the 3 speed? If I swap to the H42, then the 3.73 seems a no brainer. But if I keep the old-school column, will the 3.73 make 1st gear take off intolerable? I'm going to run a set of OME shackles but no lift otherwise. Might do 16s with 235/85 as I will need to replace the 15 inch drum wheels.

Do the 4 speed. I have all the formula to put the 60 stuff into the Pig. Do it right.

On the booster. JTOutfitters sells an adapter to mate the old pattern to the booster.
And this is how the mission creep always gets going! That's how I ended up with a full float planned for Chuck earlier in this thread. I'll need a parking brake (I know, line lock, but NH inspection Nazis will not let that fly). I put the drum on the H42/split in my 45, but by the time I paid for all of that I could have purchased the full float or a late fj40 axle with the brake on the drums. There's a new clutch in there with the 3 speed, I have a rear axle with the disc conversion already done that would drop right in. If it was 3 on the floor I'd ditch it, but there's something about the column...I learned to drive on a 61 impala 3 on the tree. There's time still.

Looked at the IPOR set up for PS. I'm all for paying people for their skill and engineering. But $2k for the set-up when all I need are some steel and u-joints seems a bit steep. I know @cruiseroutfit has parts for a 40, I'll talk to him and see if I can do a mix of those parts and some builder creativity.

I have just done two FJ60 boxes on a 55. That said I don’t really think you want to go PS if you keep the 3 speed. Do it when you do the 4speed. They steer fine.

I have just done two FJ60 boxes on a 55. That said I don’t really think you want to go PS if you keep the 3 speed. Do it when you do the 4speed. They steer fine.
I've followed along. I'll hit you up offline if and when. I feel like the ball will just really roll once the 4 speed happens. Floor shift, well then the bench is kind of in the way. Then the buckets go in with the 60 center console. Rear axle as above. If it's now great for road trips instead of just heading into town, then why not a Vintage Air system? LRA tank? Etc. This is where these things end up with me. Not that this is a bad thing, as I am loving the Limo build and the warthog. But it IS a nice original 68...still, with all of that 60 sourced goodness just sitting there, am I really going to stay with the column shift?

Why don't you just drive it as is for the spring, summer and fall? And then park if in December you decide you're not satisfied with it, then do all your conversion stuff over next winter. You might enjoy something old school because your 45 is a beauty with heated seats, fuel injection, stereo, ....
So much truth here. So unlike me!

I have a sniper, disc front axle, etc already gathered for my 40 and at the builder as we speak. I like the safety of the disc set-up, so that will absolutely go in with a dual circuit system. Power while I'm at it. The sniper is a major upgrade that I don't want to skip, especially as it's paid for and sitting there. Since I'm doing an engine refresh, I really ought to just do it on the 2F and get the better motor, distributor, etc. So, the motor at least is done deal.

The rest is not needed, and I really should just wait. The only nagging thought is "just do it right, once". I really don't lose anything except a bit of labor if I leave the 3 speed for now and decide. You're right, and that's the sensible choice. Doesn't mean I'll do that ;):doh:
NH INSPECTION NAZIS !!!!!!! You're going to the wrong places!! Thats a Safety inspection only!! Shoot the s*** 💩 with them and get to know them!! Piece of Cake 🎂😋😍
So far, no love from the locals. Tried to get my son's new Tacoma inspected and they flunked me for window tint and no cover on the bumper lights. No amount of bullshitting seemed likely to sway them. And I've bought about $2500 worth of tires from this place. Nazis!! Maybe I'll take a nice trek out to your place, talk Pigs, work with your local crew until I can find my own. Or register it up in Maine, no inspection for an antique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom