1968 FJ40 Wiring Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Assembling the vehicle after painting and I noticed a fuse holder taped to the harness near the cowl vent. The wire is green with a red stripe, as most of the wires are.

Wondering if it could be for an optional radio, but looking at the service manual, that wire should be light blue.

Any idea what it could be for?

This fuse?

1625319622790.png

Assembling the vehicle after painting and I noticed a fuse holder taped to the harness near the cowl vent. The wire is green with a red stripe, as most of the wires are.

Wondering if it could be for an optional radio, but looking at the service manual, that wire should be light blue.

Any idea what it could be for?
Hazard lights have their own in-line fuse up under the cowl.

Back in 74 after buying my 68 found the wiring was a mess from the original owner. I managed to get everything straightened out except for the hazard lights. Took it to the only Toyota dealer in town and was told there was a inline fuse up under the cowl which was very difficult to get to and took a couple of hours to replace. Lucky I was a poor kid and couldn't afford it. Few years later opened up the cowl to clean it out and check the drain hoses. Right on top of the harness under the vent was fuse for the hazard lights. Hazard light lights were not required in all markets particularly counties needed 4WD for daily driving. Only think this was the reason it was basically just added into the harness for North America. Would have to check but believe there is a spare fuse on the fuse block. Also think it's on the ones fed by the ignition switch. Lot of options on wiring a radio from that. Most later Toyota audio has a wire that basically turns the unit off with the ignition switch and another larger circuit that provides most the power. This circuit is not switched and also holds the memory for radio stations.

Thanks for the info. Will cut the tape toady and trace the wire now I know where to look for it's termination.

You don't have to spend those hours and pull the heater to get to it. I'll share a secret. I pulled my cowl vent and the vent door under it and the fuse was right there. 15 minute surgery.
20210704_144932.jpg

Thanks for the tip, that's how I saw the fuse holder.

One end is broken, so I will replace and lengthen the wires so I can access it after I put the heater back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom