1968 FJ40 Turn Signal Canceler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The turn signal canceler system was broken. When I removed the steering wheel, one cancelling cam was there, both retaining posts broken off and springs missing.

I could not find pictures in any manuals, so made my best guess how to replace. I used the one cam as a template to make the other one, modified a couple of torsion springs, drilled out the broken posts and inserted new ones.

Bench testing it seems to work.

The question I have is regarding the orientation of the brass square plunger on the end of the handle.

Does the large groove go horizontal as in the upper picture, or vertical as in the lower picture?

It appears to me it is machined to accept something? If so, it is missing as well.

Anyone have a picture of what might go into the end of the brass plunger?

Thanks.

20211021_113501.jpg

20211021_113420.jpg

for some reason I'm thinking there was a ball, similar to a BB in the end

There is a detent ball with a spring behind it. This keeps it in whatever position you put it to. I’d think using a pen spring and bb would work with a little dab of grease.

Thanks, have plenty of various ball bearing balls to go thru. But, I don't believe there is a hole on the end for a spring. There is on the other side. and that spring is in place.

Does the orientation of the brass plunger matter?

The plunger goes how it looks in the first pic. There’s a groove in the plunger because the detent ball is actually a cylinder with “tabs”, if that makes sense? So the notches in that brass piece hold the tabs to locate it so it can roll across.
Sounds like you have the proper spring; goes between the brass piece and the arm itself in the arm pocket.
Cooler man has a write up; figure 8 shows it.

Thanks for the response and link showing the ball. Certainly don't have anything like that, will try to get a ball bearing to stay in place, unless I have a small ball that isn't 'hardened and can drill a hole in and insert a shaft. More fun.

Edit_Based on the photo in the link from Skreddy, I was able to adapt:
20211024_142441.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom