1968 FJ40 Rear Hub Removal/Disc Brake Conversion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of a four-wheel disc conversion on my 1968 FJ40, and I'm having trouble finding intel on how to pull the rear hub. I'm planning to install the JTO bracket, but I'm not sure how to pull the rear axle. I've done some searches, and the hubs that come up are floating (I think), and they have bolts on the hub face. Mine doesn't, so I'm assuming I'll have to open the rear diff to pull the axles. Does anyone have tips on and/or pictures of how to accomplish that? JTO's instructions leave quite a lot to the imagination.

Thanks for any direction you might have.

The rear axles are retained by c clips so you'll have to open the rear diff cover. OBTW, I've heard bad reviews of JTO RDB conversion.

You have a pic of your rear axle? And is this a US spec cruiser or???

The rear axles are retained by c clips so you'll have to open the rear diff cover. OBTW, I've heard bad reviews of JTO RDB conversion.

As far as the 1968 goes, the JTO brackets are all about getting creative. I've frankensteined the front together, which required a fair amount of caliper grinding and rotor machining. I suspect the rear will be more of the same - if it even fits. With a little luck, the finished brakes will outlast me so I don't have to remember how I pulled it all together.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to take a couple of snapshots tonight, because I haven't been able to find a match in my google searches. I'm not sure if it's US spec or otherwise, or even how to make that determination.

It's probably worth noting, however, that I often overlook the obvious.

Here's a picture of the rear hub.

Rear Hub.JPG

Or you could cut them off. That's what I did, cut them in half. Very careful cutting. Think I used a cutting wheel on the grinder, then a dremel cutting disc for the part near the axle. It's been a long time, could even have been a sawzall with a fine tooth blade...

Or you could cut them off. That's what I did, cut them in half. Very careful cutting. Think I used a cutting wheel on the grinder, then a dremel cutting disc for the part near the axle. It's been a long time, could even have been a sawzall with a fine tooth blade...
The trouble with cutting is that uncutting is a bear. I'm going to see how much trouble I can find by opening the rear diff. If I don't knock the spider gears out of whack, it'll be a small miracle.

I can't think of any way to install spider gears wrong. Unless you leave a part out..

lol

If there's a way, I'll find it.

DON’T ROLL THE THIRD MEMBER any more than necessary to slide the shaft out. You’ll be tempted to when you’re pulling the axle shafts. And keep a eye on the thrust washers. Those devils can drop out when you’re not looking

DON’T ROLL THE THIRD MEMBER any more than necessary to slide the shaft out. You’ll be tempted to when you’re pulling the axle shafts. And keep a eye on the thrust washers. Those devils can drop out when you’re not looking
Thanks Reddingcruiser. Stay tuned this weekend for tales of how many times I end up taking things apart and creatively putting them back together. It's sort of a character building exercise that ends with a big lawn ornament.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom