1968 fj40 lights dim when not on the gas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lighting dramatically decreases when I let off the gas pedal, have replaced voltage regulator but that didn't change anything... any idea?

Last edited:
Does the new alternator have a smaller pulley than the previous one?

Is this in a stock engine setup? How are the electrical connections? Grounds are all good? The lights definitely dimmerf at idle vs higher RPMs but I am wondering if your lights are not as bright as they could be to begin with? Are you getting 14v at idle at the battery? How old is the battery?

Y
Is this in a stock engine setup? How are the electrical connections? Grounds are all good? The lights definitely dimmerf at idle vs higher RPMs but I am wondering if your lights are not as bright as they could be to begin with? Are you getting 14v at idle at the battery? How old is the battery?
Stock engine setup, connections should be good-battery 1 year old. Will check the voltage later today

Lighting dramatically decreases when I let off the gas pedal, have replaced voltage regulator but that didn't change anything... any idea?

Your power demand seems to be exceeding the charging output of the alternator, at least when at idle. Your options are to somehow decrease the power demand or increase the power output.

if you have replaced the voltage regulator with a GENUINE TOYOTA Part ONLY ,

then this will get your head lights kicking Bright again

1643998933350.png

1643998778763.png

1643998793825.png

1643998818813.png

1643998838382.png

My 68 been doing this since I bought it. Replaced the alternator once and had to put original smaller pulley on it because the voltage regulator didn't like larger pulley and fluctuated all over the place any over idle. Turn the heater on and it gets worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom