1968 FJ40 door rebuild help please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trippster

SILVER Star
Threads
Any threads on front door assembly from complete shell? I saw a nice one for the newer doors but none for my 1968 model. I there a sequence to follow? Glass in frame, frame in body to meet window crank, bolt frame to body, then the door locks?????

if there’s not a thread, I’ll get one started.

Thank you, to you all. I’m 90 % done with my 8 year frame off restoration. I look forward to getting it on the dirt!!

Ben

75689BA2-924F-4BDE-9037-959B35FC4DCE.jpeg

Any threads on front door assembly from complete shell? I saw a nice one for the newer doors but none for my 1968 model. I there a sequence to follow? Glass in frame, frame in body to meet window crank, bolt frame to body, then the door locks?????

if there’s not a thread, I’ll get one started.

Thank you, to you all. I’m 90 % done with my 8 year frame off restoration. I look forward to getting it on the dirt!!

Ben

View attachment 3062735
There are details somewhere around here. BEWARE. There is a long bolt, that if you put in the wrong spot, it will break the glass. Details here, but you gotta do the searching to dig them out, or maybe another member has the thread handy. I found the details here when i needed to disassemble my doors for transportation during a move. I have not reassembled them yet….

Thank you, I appreciate the help. I’ll keep searching. I just ordered all new hardware and felts. I’ll give it a go!
Have a good one!
Ben

Looking at the picture of your pieces, if you didn't say they were a '68 I would mistake them for my '73. You'll probably want to consider installing new channel felt before the assembly.

If I recall correctly, the window glass must go into the opening before assembling the vent window piece. Other than that it was pretty straight forward. The 40 Channel has a good video but I believe it is on a later model door. The felts and wipers are a bit of a battle.

These links should help:

Hardest part - inserting the new felt into the welding-in channel. Won't slide. About an hour per side to coax it into place with various tools and implements. Be careful not to puncture it. I could not do it by hand as the video above showed. Had I seen that I MIGHT have tried harder to do so.

Pro tip: use soapy water on the rubber back side to help these go in. Toothbrush to apply.

8CCE2902-6EFA-44BF-B614-C70693DEE914.jpeg
D3BF5A6B-6314-498B-968F-04C8C94B66CA.jpeg

Great job. It is funny how, sometimes the simplest seeming projects, involve the largest array of tools.

Hardest part - inserting the new felt into the welding-in channel. Won't slide. About an hour per side to coax it into place with various tools and implements. Be careful not to puncture it. I could not do it by hand as the video above showed. Had I seen that I MIGHT have tried harder to do so.

Pro tip: use soapy water on the rubber back side to help these go in. Toothbrush to apply.

View attachment 3238668View attachment 3238669

Are there felt replacements? Bought OEM for my 70 FJ40 and those are now rubber. Back in the. Seventies I replaced the felt in my 68 because the original felt kept sliding down. The replacement were simple to install. Nothing be to be opened up in the bottom of the door. Have a feeling the rubber will not slide in as easy. Once in maybe glue the rubber at the top of the side runners will help kept them in place. That was the problem on my 68 original felt. Every time roll the window down the felt would slip down and not come back up with the window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom