1968 Center Arm Rebuild Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m starting to rebuild a 1968 center arm with a rebuild kit but there are a few extra parts that I don’t know where they go. There is a solid brass cone type of thing that did not come out of the original parts and there is a solid brass cone type of thing with indents for the Woodruff keys that I know goes in. There’s also a large felt seal that comes with the kit that I did not see when I was pulling out the original parts.
I’ve searched Mud but can’t find anything, unless I’m looking in the wrong place, on how to rebuild with the parts that I bought in the kit. I’m guessing the two steel races replace the brass ones that came in it originally and I have to reuse the brackets and both Woodruff keys.
I was going to remove everything and rebuild it on a bench but for the life of me can’t remove that center arm shaft. I’ve tried everything to beat it out and at one point I used a punch and slipped in and smashed a hole in the upper cap. Just my luck. Unfortunately, I can’t find a new replacement cap so I needed to JB Weld the whole close.
I guess the biggest question is do I need all the parts that came in the kit and where, in what order, do they all go in?

096-0A.gif
IMG_5455.jpg
IMG_5447.jpg
IMG_5449.jpg
IMG_5448.jpg

The number 15 , the cone item, is definitely not brass. Get a factory manual and it is easy to replace.

FSM
IMG_3682.JPG

Spector has them. There are some digital ones floating around on mud.

These can be a royal PITA to disassemble. I had to use chemical warfare, heat/cold, and mechanical means (aka BFH) to get the shaft out of the bracket, and I never did get the upper bearing off. I had an extra shaft so I was able to get the CA rebuilt. If you have a press I bet that upper bearing can be removed but the shaft will have to come out… or you can drill out the mount rivets and remove the whole thing and then use a press (if it will fit the press setup). Then bolt the mount back in place. That’s kind of what I did. Those shafts are approaching hens teeth so be careful not to damage the one you have.

As a result of my experience, I‘m convinced the upper bearing is pressed on at the factory while the lower bearing simply slides on and is kept from rotating by the woodruff keys. That thick felt washer is used, but I can’t remember if it’s above or below the arm - opposite of the smaller white one iirc if you remember where it came from. I’ll see if I can find any pics of my build.

Last edited:
Spector has them. There are some digital ones floating around on mud.

These can be a royal PITA to disassemble. I had to use chemical warfare, heat/cold, and mechanical means (aka BFH) to get the shaft out of the bracket, and I never did get the upper bearing off. I had an extra shaft so I was able to get the CA rebuilt. If you have a press I bet that upper bearing can be removed but the shaft will have to come out… or you can drill out the mount rivets and remove the whole thing and then use a press (if it will fit the press setup). Then bolt the mount back in place. That’s kind of what I did. Those shafts are approaching hens teeth so be careful not to damage the one you have.

As a result of my experience, I‘m convinced the upper bearing is pressed on at the factory while the lower bearing simply slides on and is kept from rotating by the woodruff keys. That thick felt washer is used, but I can’t remember if it’s above or below the arm - opposite of the smaller white one iirc if you remember where it came from. I’ll see if I can find any pics of my build.
Thanks for your advice. I’ve been trying like crazy to get that thing off but I can’t so far. So I may take your advice and cut it out then press the shaft out.

I had same problem with the shaft. I finally got it out but ended up buying a complete kit for rebuild. It included the shaft. 15 years ago. I see today a new shaft seems pretty rare.

Thanks everybody, I did what was suggested and ended up cutting out the rivets and took the whole thing to get pressed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom