1967 FJ40 with SBC to H42, need clutch parts help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

navydivedoc

SILVER Star
Threads
Gathering parts for my 1967 Patina refresh. It has an existing Small Block Chevy conversion, I believe an old Downey style, 3 on the floor. @orangefj45 rebuilt an H42/splt case combo for me. I have a NIB Advance adapters bellhousing kit. I bought the appropriate clutch from Downey.

I need to supply the various parts for the clutch mechanism. AA diagram is below, and I've checked the items I think I need but doubt I have, unless they are the same from the 3 speed. Clutch fork, pivot, retainer, collar. I'll need an inspection cover as well.

Also, with the H42, what year clutch MC and slave cylinder should I use? 50+ years old, I'll be getting new ones anyway.

Bottom line. What parts might I have on the truck already? What do I need to source?

Thanks for the help.
Screenshot_20200223-203034~2-X3.png

Link in case this is too hard to read
Advance Adapters Diagram

Try Advance Adapters on the net. They have everything you need, and there tech line can match almost any 3 or 4 speed conversion make out there, to include pressure plates and clutches and TO bearings

Try Advance Adapters on the net. They have everything you need, and there tech line can match almost any 3 or 4 speed conversion make out there, to include pressure plates and clutches and TO bearings
Thanks. I agree, they are very helpful and I've used them for conversion parts and an Atlas before. What they can't really do though is supply OEM toyota parts like the clutch fork, etc. I'm hoping @65swb45 will jump on here at some point and tell me he has everything I need as one stop shopping. But, I'm too parts illiterate to describe what I need on the phone, so the pic above will help that talk go a lot better!

All of the Toyota 4 speed stuff should work, shift fork, shift fork pivot ball, large T.O. bearing and T.O. bearing hub, all should work with the Downey clutch and the AA bellhousing as far as I know- - -at least it always did in the past.

All of the Toyota 4 speed stuff should work, shift fork, shift fork pivot ball, large T.O. bearing and T.O. bearing hub, all should work with the Downey clutch and the AA bellhousing as far as I know- - -at least it always did in the past.

Thanks. I have your clutch set-up, no worries there. But the current set-up is a 3 speed with what I think is one of your older plate adapters. I don't have any 4 speed parts as I sourced the stand alone H42 and T-case from Georg directly. I'm assuming I need to source all of the 4 speed pieces, but wanted to be sure on details, any crossover on parts from the 3 speed, etc.

Thanks. I agree, they are very helpful and I've used them for conversion parts and an Atlas before. What they can't really do though is supply OEM toyota parts like the clutch fork, etc. I'm hoping @65swb45 will jump on here at some point and tell me he has everything I need as one stop shopping. But, I'm too parts illiterate to describe what I need on the phone, so the pic above will help that talk go a lot better!
Wouldn’t know about this thread without the tag. So good on that.

Can probably help with a kits-worth of parts. Could have helped with the H42 as well.

Per my signature line, please leave me a voicemail at the shop to follow up; that’s how I roll.

Can probably help with a kits-worth of parts. Could have helped with the H42 as well.

Per my signature line, please leave me a voicemail at the shop to follow up; that’s how I roll.
Will do, forgot to tag you on the first post. Like I said, picture was worth a thousand words, maybe 2000 since I'd inevitably get it wrong, so figured I'd get that up and then call. Will talk power brake conversion while we're at it. Thanks.

Gonna need to bend some tube for the clutch slave... it's on the passenger side! I'm about to do the same on my 1972 SBC 3 speed combo :rofl: I sourced the shift fork, pivot ball, collar, etc all from toyotapartsdeal.com

Last edited:
Gonna need to bend some tube for the clutch slave... it's on the passenger side! I'm about to do the same on my 1972 SBC 3 speed combo :rofl:

the bellhousing is symmetrical; reason why you can’t locate on the drivers side?

From what I have seen, the AA bell housing only has the hole in it for the shift fork on the passenger side. I only recently found this out an had to adjust my plans. I hope that I am wrong... but I don't think so. I believe there are other bell housings that allow for either side, but not the AA...

From what I have seen, the AA bell housing only has the hole in it for the shift fork on the passenger side. I only recently found this out an had to adjust my plans. I hope that I am wrong... but I don't think so. I believe there are other bell housings that allow for either side, but not the AA...

Ahh. Maybe I am thinking of the Downey BH.

Thanks @65swb45 for the assist. I'll be back.

Gonna need to bend some tube for the clutch slave... it's on the passenger side! I'm about to do the same on my 1972 SBC 3 speed combo :rofl: I sourced the shift fork, pivot ball, collar, etc all from toyotapartsdeal.com

I'm going to have to do a bunch of bending. Clutch relocation as you said. Brake lines are all the wrong size, she's getting power and discs, and at 53 years old could stand a refresh anyway. Good luck with your 72 :cheers:

Ahh. Maybe I am thinking of the Downey BH.
We cast-in a hole for the shift fork on either side, but only machined the passengers side for slave cylinder mounting, and only machined for the shift fork pivot ball on the passengers side.

Hey navydivedoc,
Like the way you wrote this up and included pics., just needs finalized. Seems focus of your thread got shifted to bell housing info., would it be possible for you to update regarding where/ how you sourced the parts you needed?
I will soon have a similar project and may be able to utilize your info./ updates.
Thank you

I dealt with @65swb45 as one stop shop for the miscellaneous parts. He put a package together from the diagram above. JP Virgo @ClemsonCruiser ended up putting the truck together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom