1967 FJ40 Front Brake Wheel Cylinder Mystery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My recently acquired 1967 FJ40 does not appear to have original brake wheel cylinders as the brake line does not connect via banjo fitting. The brake lines and everything look like OEM but from another year? Anyone have any idea or a way to look at the axle to identify it’s vintage? See photos of back side of brake backing plate. Thanks

4858962C-4FD7-40BA-BCED-317730C905E1.jpeg

8267CC8E-645E-4DD7-B967-999B360D99CF.jpeg

My recently acquired 1967 FJ40 does not appear to have original brake wheel cylinders as the brake line does not connect via banjo fitting. The brake lines and everything look like OEM but from another year? Anyone have any idea or a way to look at the axle to identify it’s vintage? See photos of back side of brake backing plate. Thanks
Hi,

The Banjo fittings on the brake cylinders I believe ran from 1961 - 9/'71 and possibly earlier.

I have a '78 BJ40 and it has the same backing plate as your photo.

ToyotaDyna

---------

Looking to import a Diesel, LHD Land Cruiser?

Canarian Land Cruiser Exports • DIESEL • LHD

Last edited:

View attachment 2887713

View attachment 2887714
What market is it from?

Hi,

The Banjo fittings on the brake cylinders I believe ran from 1961 - 9/'71 and possibly earlier.

I have a '78 BJ40 and it has the same backing plate as your photo.

ToyotaDyna

---------

Looking to import a Diesel, LHD Land Cruiser?

Canarian Landcruiser Exports • LHD • Diesel
Would a 1978 be able to be converted to disc brakes? I’ve been told the original 67 axle isn’t worth investing in for disc brakes, etc.

Would a 1978 be able to be converted to disc brakes? I’ve been told the original 67 axle isn’t worth investing in for disc brakes, etc.
Yes, this axle can be, some of the 42's have disc brakes and would also have this axle.

I'm sure some mud members have done the conversion, if you do a search here you will find a few 👍

ToyotaDyna

------

Looking for a LHD, Diesel Land Cruiser?

Canarian Land Cruiser Exports • DIESEL • LHD

Last edited:
A US ‘78 would have disc brakes.

I converted my July ‘74 to disc brakes. ‘78ish and newer had studs spaced further apart on the top & bottom of the knuckle (aka large pattern knuckles). The large pattern knuckles are stronger, but there’s nothing wrought with the smaller pattern for normal use.

The more relevant question is if your axle has birfields or is a ball and claw axle. Ball and claw would likely need a newer axle to convert to discs. If you have birfields, you can swap on newer knuckles, birfields, hubs, discs, etc to convert to disc brakes.

You’ll also need to remove the residual valve from the front circuit of the master, and add a proportioning valve to the rear brake circuit. If you are also going to convert to 4 wheel discs at some point get an adjustable proportioning valve now rather than a stock one.

Is the junction block on the top of the backing plate held on by one bolt or two? Does your brake hose run from the junction block up to the frame, or to a tab on the main part of the axle housing?

Answers will help determine if you have an axle that is already disc brake compatible.😊

Is the junction block on the top of the backing plate held on by one bolt or two? Does your brake hose run from the junction block up to the frame, or to a tab on the main part of the axle housing?

Answers will help determine if you have an axle that is already disc brake compatible.😊
Two bolts. See attached photo. Brake hose runs up to a tab just at the edge of inner fender above e the frame. Thanks

tempImageLHvya8.png

tempImagem7sO13.png

That is a composite situation, but could be a good one for you. The hose drop is pre booster style, but the junction block is booster style. So you COULD potentially have birfields. Then again someone could have just swapped newer brakes onto an older axle. You’ll have to tear into it to know for sure.

That is a composite situation, but could be a good one for you. The hose drop is pre booster style, but the junction block is booster style. So you COULD potentially have birfields. Then again someone could have just swapped newer brakes onto an older axle. You’ll have to tear into it to know for sure.
Here is a photo of the outer section of axle. Does that tell if it's a Birfield. There is not booster on the brakes. Single circuit type brake master cylinder.

I really appreciate your willing ness to help out with sharing information.

tempImageLGK7Au.png

Here is a photo of the outer section of axle. Does that tell if it's a Birfield. There is not booster on the brakes. Single circuit type brake master cylinder.

I really appreciate your willing ness to help out with sharing information.

View attachment 2889555
The axle if much cleaner than the rear axle and frame as far as rust goes. When I drained the axle differentials the front axle had much cleaner fluids which leads me to believe the whole axle was added. Is there ay telltales on the driveshaft mounting that would help pin it down?

Without taking the axle apart, you could also check to see if the upper and lower castle nuts for the shocks are the same thread pitch. Another indicator.

Pretty much everyone on this forum is here to help.😊

Some of us score a little reciprocity with patronage and/or referrals.😉

Without taking the axle apart, you could also check to see if the upper and lower castle nuts for the shocks are the same thread pitch. Another indicator.

Pretty much everyone on this forum is here to help.😊

Some of us score a little reciprocity with patronage and/or referrals.😉
The vehicle does not actually have shocks but I will check the top and bottom nuts for symmetry. I’m anticipating you to be looking for them to be dissimilar

Well, there you go! Unless the axle was harvested from a Central American rig, it is a birfield type. Change was made in 1969.

You are now free to hit the Like button.

Well, there you go! Unless the axle was harvested from a Central American rig, it is a birfield type. Change was made in 1969.

You are now free to hit the Like button.
So if I was purchasing a disc brake conversion is that something you sell? If not do I just look for a 1978 BJ45 disc brake conversion?

So if I was purchasing a disc brake conversion is that something you sell? If not do I just look for a 1978 BJ45 disc brake conversion?
So my 1972 roller chassis is also a Birfield. The brake line on that one goes down to the front axle. I di IM you on this website? I’d like do some retail but other than your phone number i do not see an email address.

I’m not doing ANYTHING right now. I’m laid up in bed with the flu. I’ve got a fever, a pounding headache and a body that feels like a steamroller went over it.
If you could cut me some slack as a human being, hopefully I’ll be better in a few days.

I’m not doing ANYTHING right now. I’m laid up in bed with the flu. I’ve got a fever, a pounding headache and a body that feels like a steamroller went over it.
If you could cut me some slack as a human being, hopefully I’ll be better in a few days.
No problem. I’ll wait for your recovery. Glad to hear it’s not Covid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom