1966 FJ40 Factory Soft Top Find (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doesn't look like it. Could be generic widened wheels from 50 years ago. The "Who Needs A Road" 1964 FJ40 soft top had widened wheels on it back in the day.

Last edited:
What surprises me people are actually on their watch list.

Guessing this door is at least thirty-five years old. NOS or not wouldn't pay over $2K for it. The whole hobby has gotten ridiculous as for what people think things are worth. 1995 bought a set of complete bows and doors for $200. Around ten years ago someone listed a set of bows and used Kayline top on Mud for $200. After a week of no one buying them I did. Selling was not helpful with shipping and cost another $200 to get them picked up and shipped. Kayline top was black and only had a couple white ones so was worth it me. Seller also had the doors but those were in rough shape. Deals can still be found if your patient.
I’m one of the watchers!
It’s fascinating for me to see something that old still in its box. I would be shocked if someone buys it.
If you buy a soft top just have them send you the fabric for the doors, they are not hard to recover.
I suppose I’m part of the problem, I like the soft tops because they are a little different and it’s a cool subset of the community.

I bought a complete 73 soft top for $1000 in northern Arizona about 10 years ago, I sold the tailgate, doors, bows for enough to cover the cost of my current (complete) 72FST. The doors went to Japan, the bows went back east somewhere.
The 74 FST that I towed out of a yard in Sunnyslope (North Phoenix) is now sitting in the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum.

Doesn't look like it. Could be generic widened wheels from 50 years ago. The "Who Needs A Road" 1964 FJ40 soft top had widened wheels on it back in the day.
Great book. They beat that thing silly.

Yes truuuuuue. Officually on the lookout for factory wheels. I’ve heard they might still be available from Toyota?

Yes, any dealer can order them. They come in black though.

Well cripes rainman, I couldn't wait to put sheet metal skins on my soft top doors.

Regardless of being chevy wheels or not, they aren't factory FJ40 wheels and are FAAARRRR too wide.
I respectfully disagree. The stock wheels are exceedingly thin. A pizza should be so thin. :flipoff2:

I shipped a pair of beat up FST doors from Idaho to Maine for $125 via Fedex.

recently? to a residence or commercial address?

Thousands of us run a 9.5 to 10.5 wide tire on factory 40/55 wheels with no issues at all.. Why would you want to go wider? They are heavier, harder to turn, eat into fenders, stick out past the body, harder to get going and harder on brakes. Short of a dedicated mud/snow truck, wide tires serve no purpose.

recently? to a residence or commercial address?
I had to look up the shipping tag...
It was from Boise ID to a residential address in Lebanon NH on Oct 29, 2020
I packed the two doors together with some cardboard, stretchwrap and lots of tape.

53 replies in so far ... and - No "flip the Bezel" yet. Ok Ill be the first- You guys are slipping!!
Don’t worry, I already did!

BA0918C6-1D73-4142-8CFA-CECA5B7F5F1B.jpeg

Now need to get some white paint out and clean it up!

Last edited:
Well greetings again! I've changed the plugs, oil, coolant, wires and kinda have it running (from a slurp of fuel down the carb!)
As I was fiddling with the distributor I realized I have a delco-remy distributor from an old chevy and also see I have a rochester carburetor :doh:
What is the best source for a replacement non-us distributor and single barrel carb...can I get an OEM one still? Or should a post a WTB ad?
Thanks!

BF0431CB-A7F0-41EE-A44F-D6F31BB098F3.jpeg

B0FBE4AF-5ECE-40A6-827E-B851723F20B5.jpeg

Problem with the Rochesters was their float bowl was open to the atmosphere, i.e. every time you stepped on the gas pedal then water, mud, sand, what ever was laying on top of the float bowl simply fell down into the float bowl- - -not an off road carburetor. Problem with the Delco is (a) it has a Chevy drive gear on it which has the gear teeth on the wrong phase angle for your cam, so wants to constantly kick up out of the engine. (b) When it kicks up about 1/4" the engine can still run, but you are no longer pumping oil- - -not a Landcruiser engine match.
Now, for giggles you might want to look at ebay #265339693328 for fuel injection, or ebay #254809447034 for 135 engine "Dual Carburetion".

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. I think I will search the classifieds/vendors for a good used non-USA vacuum advance distributor and a stock single barrel carb...

Well greetings again! I've changed the plugs, oil, coolant, wires and kinda have it running (from a slurp of fuel down the carb!)
As I was fiddling with the distributor I realized I have a delco-remy distributor from an old chevy and also see I have a rochester carburetor :doh:
What is the best source for a replacement non-us distributor and single barrel carb...can I get an OEM one still? Or should a post a WTB ad?
Thanks!

View attachment 2910595

View attachment 2910596
Check with @4Cruisers for a distributor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom