1966 water pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my restore is pretty much done, but my water pump pissed itself. Small dribble coming from the bottom of it. So, I start looking for a new one and I can't find a replacement that old. The castings are all different and even the SOR "kit" looks like a newer one with different hoses to adapt it. I would prefer to keep this original, so what are my options?

I have had the same issue, I usually send mine through a local parts shop to a rebuilder in Denver, CO. Trying to find one off the shelf has seemed in the realm of unobtainium. Having it rebuilt creates some down time, but you know it fits when you get it back. Beware, occasionally they don't get the seals in quite right. I like to get a spare off of an old F and have it rebuilt and handy, might not e a bad trail or expedition item to have.
Hope this helps.
Eric C.

That's what I was thinking of doing. Do you have the name of the place in Denver? I will be there in a few weeks anyway. I actually tore down one yesterday out of a 74. Not too much to it if you can find the bearing and seal sizes easily enough. I was wondering if the seals from the later (69) would fit the early ones......but I haven't torn down the 66 one yet.

Ahh...and more good news today. It appears the front mail seal just puked. Well, at least I can fix it all at the same time, eh?

Anyone else?

Hi rutbeer, sorry, did not see that post in March.:eek: I will check with the shop here and see if they will divulge the rebuilder in Denver, don't know if I will have much luck, but I know you can have it done through this local parts shop. It is pricey, I think my last one was about $135, but it has been working great. I do have another one to send in for rebuild, after the hassle with this one one the old F motor I would like to have a spare. An option would be for you to send yours here and I will send both in? Will check with them in the next couple of days. Sorry again for the delay. :doh:
Eric C.

I just got off the phone with a local guy that said $100. I'm going to try to get the pump off this week and get it down to him to see if it can, in fact, be done for that. Will post up what I find.

pump pics

It was not exactly a straight up job as we had thought. He had to machine down a cast iron impeller from a flathead ford and then machined the body to accept a heavier shaft. Works well though.
45parts 001.jpg
45parts 002.jpg

Looks Great!:bounce2::bounce::bounce2: Did you paint it or did the shop, mine came back unpainted so I had to do it.
:cheers:
Eric C.

They actually sandblasted it before the machine work and it came back covered in machine oil. I just degreased it and painted it with a rattle can. It did not come with the seal between the cover plate and the pump, and my formagasket failed. I'll be removing it tomorrow and repainting again. :(
On the plus side, the pump itself works wonderfully....it was just my own shortcut that failed and it only failed at the two screws. Chances are, I didn't torque them enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom