1966 FJ45LV restoration/buildup project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dave B would be Dave Berry, who I have done a good bit of comunicating with and does own a very nice LV. Emailed him today as a matter of fact. I will send these pics to him for id. Let you know when I find out.

edit. yes it is his.

Last edited:
that guys shop is cleaner than mine plus I painted my garage floor sky blue so I can see chit when I drop it.
I sure hope Wilma comes out looking that nice. I hav ehad the shot of the body fresh out of paint on my rotating screen saver for months now:)
Jason

I have found a source for FJ45LV vent window rubbers. While doing research for vent window rubber I came across a company called Karr Rubber. I contacted them about doing a set for me and they said that someone had already paid to have molds made a few years back and they would produce additional sets at the cost of $200.00 for left and right plus shipping. They will not give group discounts as these rubbers are made two at a time, left and right, so no room for discount. A fellow MUD’er that goes by the name of “arthog” commissioned the molds. I tracked him down and he said he was satisfied with the quality. PVCrusier, who lives near Karr Rubber stopped by their shop and said they are the real deal and was impressed with their operation. I have ordered one set. I will let you know when the arrive and post pics. You can reach Karr at 800-955-5277 and on the web at www.karrrubber.com If you want to order a set of these, just call them, they appear to be an old style company and do business the old fashioned way, via direct communication on the phone, imagine that. "arthog" also mentioned that he was soon to be commissioning door hinge rubber, yea. I will keep you posted.

Are the vent window rubbers the same for all years? I remember buckroseau having some issues with the ones he got (I think $300/pr). Is the location of the hinges the same on a '64 vs a '66 for example. Treeroot, you out there?

The green is 64-65

The blue is 66-67 (I haven't seen a 67 though)

you can see a slight difference in the rubber size. I;m not at home but we need to measure and see if the hinge is in the same location.
64-65vent.jpg
66vent.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of each, a 65 and a 66. I will measure them as well, but I would be extreemly surprised if Toyota would go to the trouble and expense to re-mold vent rubbers just to make this minor hinge change. Buckr... aka, Matt bought his from TLC, I think? I don't think these are the same bc I had the guy at Karr do a search for TLC and he said no name like that came up, but you never know. I ordered a pair today. For the price, what choices do we have? The old ones are not accetable.

vent rubber

I need to call Terry because he said has had talked about making a mold for the vents, I never realized he did it.

He had it made, but according to Karr, they own the mold. So you purchase the rubber from them.

some more progress with stripping it and some ????

1. what are these things i pulled out of the rear quarters that have two tubes going down?

2. is the hole in the tire carrier factory or added by PO?

3. any suggestions how to get these tailgate screws out? impact and PBB did not help. Heat?
IMG_5219_renamed_26287.jpg
IMG_5213_renamed_656.jpg
IMG_5208_renamed_13859.jpg

I can help with the 3rd picture.

You are missing a gas tank shield that connects to the bolt you have circled. I have mine out right now and will take a pic in the morning.

Your 2nd pic has been debated before, but I don't know the outcome.

HTH

Dave

I can help with the 3rd picture.

You are missing a gas tank shield that connects to the bolt you have circled. I have mine out right now and will take a pic in the morning.

Your 2nd pic has been debated before, but I don't know the outcome.

HTH

Dave

I think I have seen it but pic would be good. I will have to look at my 65 to see if it has one, if not I guess i could fab it pretty easily. Are the bumper brackets also shone in the pic factory?

1. is this speedo cable the same as an fj40?

2. what is this bracket?

3. i thought these where to hold the straps that held the gas tank?

Dave is right on pic 3, studs are for gas tank shield.

Pretty sure the bracket on pic 2 is for the spare tire carrier on the short wheel base pick up and older long wheel base pick ups. From my understanding the lv frame and SWB frame are the same.

Matt

Pic 1 is the gas tank vent. Ige showed me the pic in her parts book. I'll check on the hole in the spare tire mount. I cut the heads off mine with a sawsall but I had them loose enough to get a blade under the bracket before it siezed on me. Spedo for the LV is the same as the Older FJ40s. The gauge cluster is a screw on type on the older ones. Bracket is not used on the LVs but is stock. Was used for the spare tire on the pickups like Matt mentioned. Studs are for the gas tank shield. Usually your vin number is inside the panels as well.

Ok, so Pic one is a gas tank vent? How the heck does that work? Was there supose to be some tubing connected to the ends of the metal tubes? and why are there two, left and right?

I forgot to look at the 65 to see if it has a gas tank shield. What is the guage of that metal? If I have to make one, what guage would you recomend? Should it be stronger than stock? This LV is definately not going to be a rock crawler.

And latstly, any tips on getting screws/bolts to come loose other than having to drill them out which would really be a PIA?

Thanks for the help

Oh yea, Treeroot, did you ever figure out if the vent rubbers were all the same? I forgot to measure mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom