1966 FJ45LV restoration/buildup project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The loops in the floor are for attaching seat belts to.

mark,
the hole things are for your seat belts to hook into. the horns are stock and it looks like your plastic covers are in good shape. you could replacde them with the hella horn set up

horns and belts

66LV said:
mark,
the hole things are for your seat belts to hook into. the horns are stock and it looks like your plastic covers are in good shape. you could replacde them with the hella horn set up

unfortunately the plastic on the horns is not in good shape. one is melted, the other is cracked. how do the holes work, strange b/c they are in the middle of the rear floor. seems like they would be in the way? are they for front or rear? i will install all new belts. has anyone seen www.gotbelts.com

those are great horns, there are at least 2 OEM makers of those, they are correct for the 1960's cruisers and they sound great. One of the versions are called Elephant Horns. I would test them, if they work keep em. The OEM repair manual has detailed info on them, as well on how to adjust the "points' in the horns.

merbesfield said:
does anyone know or have these horns? or a suggested replacement?
also, what are these hole things in the rear floor boards?

Landpimp said:
those are great horns, there are at least 2 OEM makers of those, they are correct for the 1960's cruisers and they sound great. One of the versions are called Elephant Horns. I would test them, if they work keep em. The OEM repair manual has detailed info on them, as well on how to adjust the "points' in the horns.

step one...clean the mudwasp nests out of them:D

There are two styles for the LV. One has the logo stuff stamped on top, the other has a green sticker on them. From what I can tell up to 1964/65 had the sticker, around 65/66 they changed to the molded logo type. Before '64, like 1962 maybe, the horns were almost round. The Fj25s have the round style horns.

Reproduction stickers are in the works for the 64 style horns.

treerootCO said:
step one...clean the mudwasp nests out of them:D

There are two styles for the LV. One has the logo stuff stamped on top, the other has a green sticker on them. From what I can tell up to 1964/65 had the sticker, around 65/66 they changed to the molded logo type. Before '64, like 1962 maybe, the horns were almost round. The Fj25s have the round style horns.

Reproduction stickers are in the works for the 64 style horns.

mine have the molded emblem and came off a 66. the more i disassemble this truck the more i am impressed with how well it has held up. the problem with my horns is one has melted spot on the top, which i could bondo and then paint back over, but the other has a split near the screw location. i am sure they could be fixed up some how, just have to get creative.

another question. was there a rubber stop on the gas door lid that keeps it from hitting the body and being paint on paint? mine now hits so i need to know how to work it for re-assembly?

bumper brackets needed

are these still available, or does anyone have any? mine are a mess and i would prefer others if possible.
IMG_3775.jpg

no real progress today

worked on the 442 today to get it running for summer. with all the excitement over the 45 we kind of dropped it. so we took a step back and worked at getting it on the road for the summer, then we will be back at the 45. makes more sense to have a covert. for the summer months. my plan is to finish the 45 and do the 442 durring the winter. i found this part in the back of the 45 today, what is it? it has been sheared off at the base. also, anyone have those bumper brackets i need?
IMG_3806.jpg
IMG_3775.jpg
IMG_3850 resized.jpg

pretty sure that yes they are, same as a fj40.

and for the horns, there are lots of them out there, all Cruisers used the same horns(same year)

not sure they were really year speicific, pretty sure my parts books show both were availible at the same time, might have been a supply issue?

merbesfield said:
are these still available, or does anyone have any? mine are a mess and i would prefer others if possible.

Landpimp said:
pretty sure that yes they are, same as a fj40.

and for the horns, there are lots of them out there, all Cruisers used the same horns(same year)

not sure they were really year speicific, pretty sure my parts books show both were availible at the same time, might have been a supply issue?

pimp, pls clarify, what is the same as the fj40, bumper brackets?

as for the horns, b/c there are lots out there, are you saying i should be able to find nice ones and not have to resto these?

and do you know what that part is?

I order some bumper brackerts a while back from the toyota dealership here locally......... at that time they said they data base showed only one set left and they were at a dealer ship in Texas or something like that. So if my parts guy was right I got the last pair :D, but who knows. Just try your local Toyota dealer they can tell you quickly if there are any left or not

I am glad to see you are getting started these trucks so quickily. I was sorry to come to a point in time where I realized that I was simply not up-to restoring them myself.

The horns are correct and should be restorable. Fill the crack with super glue. Go slowly: one drop at a time, let it cure, add another drop, repeat as required. Unless the melted plastic has rendered one of them inoperable they should be good to go.

Horn problems on 40-Series of this vintage are usually in either the steering wheel or the steering column. And the problem is usually that the horns come on and remain on because the insulation somewhere in the system fails.

The holes in the end of the terminal block are used to mount the terminal block to the fender.

Eastwood offers a kit to simulate the cadmium plating. Go to Eastwood.com and search for "Golden Cad".

The bumper brackets should be sand-blasted and then re-painted. A very thin coating of Bondo sanded flush should take acre of the rust-pitting.

The sheared-off bracket is part of the shifter linkage. The part that screws in to the bell-housing on the right-hand side.

Regards
-- Eugene

both the horns and bumper brackets are the same as a fj40 or 45

I have seen the horns on Ebay quite often, or any of the parts guys should be able to turn some up. I will have to check, but I may have some extra's laying around or the parts.

merbesfield said:
pimp, pls clarify, what is the same as the fj40, bumper brackets?

as for the horns, b/c there are lots out there, are you saying i should be able to find nice ones and not have to resto these?

and do you know what that part is?

update

not too much progress on the 45 right now. working on the rotisserie and finishing up loose ends, sort of, while adding some new ones:doh: . i just bought an 1971 FJ40 that i tried to buy a while ago, but the guy did not want to sell. i called the him tonight and he said yes. i also get in the deal a parts rig that has some parts along with its axels and 4 spd transmission. paid $450.00 for all. did i do well or not? his father bought it new, and he restored it 4 years ago, then parked it and let it rot as you see. claims it will start and run. we shall see. inlcudes the hard top.
IMG_2626.jpg
IMG_2634.jpg
IMG_2625.jpg

Can't go to wrong for $450 bucks...

I thought one of them had a factory PTO winch?

Matt

If four years in Atlanta does that to a truck, remind me not to visit! ;)

Good find - lots of good parts of every sort, there.

got the 71 home

well we got the 71 loaded on the trailer and home. had to drag it through the woods. when we got to it, a guy who rents the land where the 40 was sitting runs an asphalt business and had his dump truck and spreader on a trailer blocking the 40. we could not get a hold of him so we took the long route through the woods without power. hooked a chain to the front and draged it with the tundra. all in all, pretty painless. the top was located where the 77 parts rig is and the PO had left is sit on the ground. :doh: so more rust to the list. just stupid. the 77 is pretty shot. it was involved in a front right collision, which is why he parked it. not much left of it, though there is the 4 spd w/transfer and rear axel. we will try to go back next week to get it, but it will need to be dragged onto the trailer. not sure if we are going to get the whole thing or just strip as much as we can and leave the carcus for the buzzards.
IMG_3984.jpg
IMG_3985.jpg
IMG_3986.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom